Railroad Forums 

• Questions about becoming an engineer

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#125023  by tydev417

Hi, I am currently a high school freshman from Staten Island, New York who has always wanted to become a train engineer. I know that it may not be as easy as it looks but it's what I want to do as my future career. I wanted to know what train operating company in my area would be the best for me to work for(Metro-North RR, Long Island RR, Amtrak, MTA Subways or the Staten Island Rwy)? As my school doesn't offer any transit related courses, I wanted to know if there is any colleges, schools or training centers around the New York area that offer courses that I can go to after I finish high school to become a passenger engineer?

#125039  by CSX Conductor

I've heard that Metro-North and LIRR are the highest paying in the country.

Ask Dutch Rail-Nut, maybe he will have more helpful information.

#125055  by Avro Arrow

CSX Conductor wrote:I've heard that Metro-North and LIRR are the highest paying in the country.
Perhaps in absolute terms, but I wouldn't be surprised if the cost-of-living in that area pretty makes it comparable to other areas.

Anyway, I would try to get hired on by a company that pays you during training. Something about pay-as-you-go training (and then not being guaranteed a job upon graduation) really bothers me.

#125861  by Swedish Meatball

I believe CSX Cndr. is right about pay. MNRR & LIRR base pay is but they do not have the same arbitraries as Class 1 RR's like mileage and inital and final delays, tie ups etc.. LIRR was hiring from off the street engineers. MNRR hires internally. You could get a job as a assistant conductor, car knocker or car cleaner and transfer after 1 year to become an engineer

#125949  by CSX Conductor

Swedish Meatball wrote: MNRR & LIRR base pay is but they do not have the same arbitraries as Class 1 RR's like mileage and inital and final delays, tie ups etc..
As a new-hire it won't matter because most of the Class I's only give ITD and FTD and some many other arbitraries to "Pre-1985" employees. :(