Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by joetrain59

Thanks, Steve. But show's more variations to boggle the mind.
Joe D
  by 4400Washboard

Nice photo nyandw.

Do they still use any B60s in work service? You can see the real thing at the DRM and I believe the RMLI has one. The DRM one is rather hard to spot out since it is on one of the turntable tracks (Last I checked it was there was November, 2012). You have to take the train to the turntable, look approx. 45 degrees to your far right and you have a chance of seeing one end of it. I have a photo somewhere that I can post (Problem is I don't know where it is)
  by baileyjet2000

There are no B60's in work train service. There is, if I remember 1B60 and one BM60 at Riverhead.

The difference in the ends are the brake wheel.

Ray J in RSW
  by northpit

i could be wrong but the the old scrap car in dunkirk yard looks like this car
  by Shavano

The three tool cars in Dunkirk are the remains of the former B&M coaches, the same class as the W85 in LD (and W86 which has since been cut up).
  by joetrain59

I need to figure out how to make at least one of those hacks in photo at Sunnyside.
Joe D
  by 4400Washboard

The B60s are the most "visually pleasing" baggage cars every manufactured in my opinion (Especially in LIRR tichy scheme). Shame they cut up the remaining B&M coaches ( :( ), but the RMLI definitely deserves credit for saving W-85 from the scrapper ( :P )! When's it going to be restored back to a bar car (Or something else)?
  by n2qhvRMLI

Gentle Forum Members,

Here are a few current photographs of 7723 and 7737 at the Railroad Museum of Long Island, Riverhead. Anyone wishing to get up close to these cars and see them for modeling purposes, inside and out, can e-mail me at [email protected] and we can arrange a visit. The cars are not normally open to the public as they are "work" cars so an appointment is necessary.

Don Fisher, Pres. RMLI

LIRR 7737 A end – currently RMLI Tool Car, Riverhead NY

LIRR 7737 B end

LIRR 7723 – currently Baggage/Mail Storage, Riverhead NY
  by 4400Washboard

n2qhvRMLI wrote:Gentle Forum Members,

Here are a few current photographs of 7723 and 7737 at the Railroad Museum of Long Island, Riverhead. Anyone wishing to get up close to these cars and see them for modeling purposes, inside and out, can e-mail me at [email protected] and we can arrange a visit. The cars are not normally open to the public as they are "work" cars so an appointment is necessary.

Don Fisher, Pres. RMLI

LIRR 7737 A end – currently RMLI Tool Car, Riverhead NY

LIRR 7737 B end

LIRR 7723 – currently Baggage/Mail Storage, Riverhead NY
Do you have plans to paint them up in PRR colors? Nice photos
  by DogBert

Is one of the RMLI cars the same as the one that was in LIC until the late 1990s? It was mostly yellow with some patchwork brown & graffiti at the time.
  by joetrain59

Don, thanks for posting those photos. Really helped me see what I need to do. But on 7737, where's the brakewheel?
Joe D
  by n2qhvRMLI

DogBert, both of these cars were dragged to Riverhead back during the "Engine 39 Restoration Committee" days. I'm not sure if either of the baggage cars were "pre-owned" by the LIST Chapter NRHS before coming to Riverhead, some of our other cars were. I doubt these boys hung around LIC.

tjensen, to the best of our knowledge, the Tuscan and black paint motif was the "as delivered" scheme to the LIRR. At that time the LIRR was a PRR subsidiary. The greys of the Tichy color schemes didn't come to the fore until much later.

Don
  by n2qhvRMLI

joetrain59, my pleasure. The brake wheel was removed before I became a member in 1996.

Don