Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by 452 Card

Here's one on Daves' site at PD going east:

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirrphotos/ ... _small.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We called the coach version "Blimp Cars" because of the shape of the roof. I think they came from the B&M.
  by Cannon Ball

Yes, the B60b and its cousin the BM60 were PRR-designed and built head-end cars used on the LI from the 1920s up til the end of express and mail service in the 1960s. Some went on to serve in MofW service.

The B60b was baggage/express, used most frequently in the later years for newspaper delivery to stations out east.

Numbers 715-724, 737, 738 are shown in the LIST-NRHS booklet from 1972 as active then. All were built in 1928 by the Pennsy.

718 was rebuilt to wreck train car W-56; 723 was said to be preserved somewhere but not shown where.

737 had a mail compartment (15', I think) added in the late 1940s and was reclassified to class BM60 (Baggage/Mail) and later rebuilt to wreck train car W-57.

738 had a mail compartment added in 1947 and reclassified BM60 #7738, then again reclassed back to B60 when the mail compartment was removed after the 1963 cessation of mail contracts. One of these two BM60 cars (7737 or 7738) is probably in the photo above. And, I believe one of these two cars is at the Oyster Bay museum now.

As part of the modernization program effected by the LI in the mid-1950s, these cars in the 700 series were given a new first digit of "7" when they went thru the shop. So, for example, car 737 came out as car 7737. Floors were redone, and the baggage doors which were wood (if I remember correctly) with rectangular window glazing were replaced with metal doors with round "porthole" glazing. They also got a small red and yellow modernization number decal on the right end of each carside to indicate the modernization.
  by joetrain59

Thanks Cannonball for providing car #'s. Have a resin N scale kit of said car, and was figuring Pennsy paint, but then saw Walthers model.
Pic from Dave's site is real small, and his site doesn't display well on my Mac. Have to dig out my books later tonight for model refs.
Love that roof line.
Joe D
  by nyandw

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/baggag ... aggage.htm

Baggage car #7715 on Montauk bound train #4 Conductor walking up front to speak to engineer. Newspapers ready to be dumped on platform are visible in door of baggage car 07/1971 (second car is a lightweight parlor) The LIRR and MTA are still in transition as is evidenced by the conductor still wearing his "letter-carrier" gray uniform.
Photo and archive: Dave Keller
  by nyandw

joetrain59 wrote:Thanks Cannonball for providing car #'s. Have a resin N scale kit of said car, and was figuring Pennsy paint, but then saw Walthers model. Pic from Dave's site is real small, and his site doesn't display well on my Mac. Have to dig out my books later tonight for model refs. Love that roof line. Joe D
Joe D. that was the thumbnail link (filename_small.jpg) to: Image Better, I hope. Let me know. :-) Best, Steve
  by joetrain59

Oh yes, much better. I like the solid dark grey scheme, and think I have decals for that. Any idea what hobby paint color to use???? Don't think any model paint mfr made LIRR paint of any color. And I don't have an airbrush yet, so got to be spray bombs.
Joe D
  by baileyjet2000

Ref:B60's the numbers for these cars ran from 715 through 724.As indicated earlier in this post the cars that went through the mod, we're renumbered starting with a 7. Do boy know if all cars went into that program. Each car that did go into received a mod number (these can be found on Steve's web site)

Since I do not use an airbrush, for the colors I use the following: Scalecoat SP for the body, Scalecoat Brunswick Green for the roof. I was using Floquil for the under body but now that that they are no longer producing I will have to find another brand.

Please note that the cars did not have diaphragms, so if you desire you can remove these. Remove roof and push out on the clips. Also once these are removed you have to fill in the gaps that are left. I used strips of styrene and then repainted with above SP lark gray. Another items that needs to be done is to remove the dashing dan logo on the right hand side of the car. Use a #2pencil eraser and gently rub off. I replace these with the mod #s. I also added CalScale air and steam hoses.

The mod #s. Can be purchased from Dave Harrison. Dave's Custom trains and Supplies. Phone 631-581-9232. He also has an e-mail address buy I cannot find it at this time. Perhaps someone on this forum can supply.

Good luck and all best to all.

Ray J in RSW
  by Doc Emmet Brown

That Conductor looked Like "footsie"
  by nyandw

[quote="baileyjet2000"]Please note that the cars did not have diaphragms, so if you desire you can remove these. Remove roof and push out on the clips. Also once these are removed you have to fill in the gaps that are left. I used strips of styrene and then repainted with above SP lark gray. Another items that needs to be done is to remove the dashing dan logo on the right hand side of the car. Use a #2pencil eraser and gently rub off. I replace these with the mod #s. I also added CalScale air and steam hoses...."

I'd love to see photos of this/these models?
  by 4400Washboard

A good deal of PRR equipment went to the lirr:

B60
BM60
MP54 and the trillions of other variants
G5
K4
H10
among others
  by joetrain59

Oh don't get me started about want for a K-4 and G-10!
Dreamland, LOL.
Thank Balleyjet, think I might have SP Dark Lark grey, if it's not too old.
Joe D
  by baileyjet2000

Steve: give me a couple of weeks and I'll try and send a picture. To many things going on now. Especially all the relatives coming down from NY to get out of the cold.

All the best

Ray
  by nyandw

baileyjet2000 wrote:Steve: give me a couple of weeks and I'll try and send a picture. To many things going on now. Especially all the relatives coming down from NY to get out of the cold. All the best Ray
They waited this long!! :wink: I'll post any pictures you might send, thanks!
  by joetrain59

Steve, are there any shots of both ends of this car to see?
Thanks,
Joe D