Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1253992  by R36 Combine Coach

Anyone noticed the online rotating menus have been removed? Until several months ago had rotating diner and VIA Corridor Business (VIA-1) menus posted, along with special request menus. Amtrak has menus of all routes available. The only menus VIA has available now are sample menus for take-out counter service.
 #1254016  by marquisofmississauga

It appeared something was up early last summer when VIA did not post the menus for "Sleeper Plus" (formerly "Easterly Class") on the Ocean. Then at the end of October the Business Class (VIA 1) menus disappeared. A short while later the menus for the Canadian were removed.

The missing menus that have resulted in the most complaints are those for the corridor Business class. At least the dining cars have menus to present to the passengers at table. But there are none in Business Class. Prior to the end of October, passengers could pre-order a meal from the posted menus. Although his could not be done on-line, a phone call or request at a station would have a note made on the file. Dietary and religious meals can still be - and must be - ordered in advance. Passengers who are members of the VIA Preference programme at the Premier level are told discreetly by the attendant that they may have first choice of meals, and those meals are described from notes the attendant has. Other passengers are offered a choice if such is available when the attendant and the trolley reaches them.

The entire three-course meal is now served at once, which is supposed to be something requested by business travellers so they can quickly get back to work. Unless you want your main course to get cold, you have to leave the starter for after the main course. The cloth napkins have been replaced by paper and at lunch the dessert is wrapped in foil or plastic - not very Green as VIA brags about their service. I have experienced the new service six times. On the plus side: being a Premier member I have always received my choice of meals. The food and service has been very good. The wine continues to be of good quality. With the abundance of reduced fares in Business Class - you don't need to wait for one of VIA's 50% sales - I can live with this. Some of the advance purchase fares are more than 50% off. But I wouldn't be too happy if I was paying full fare.
 #1254212  by gaspeamtrak

marquisofmississauga wrote:It appeared something was up early last summer when VIA did not post the menus for "Sleeper Plus" (formerly "Easterly Class") on the Ocean. Then at the end of October the Business Class (VIA 1) menus disappeared. A short while later the menus for the Canadian were removed.

The missing menus that have resulted in the most complaints are those for the corridor Business class. At least the dining cars have menus to present to the passengers at table. But there are none in Business Class. Prior to the end of October, passengers could pre-order a meal from the posted menus. Although his could not be done on-line, a phone call or request at a station would have a note made on the file. Dietary and religious meals can still be - and must be - ordered in advance. Passengers who are members of the VIA Preference programme at the Premier level are told discreetly by the attendant that they may have first choice of meals, and those meals are described from notes the attendant has. Other passengers are offered a choice if such is available when the attendant and the trolley reaches them.

The entire three-course meal is now served at once, which is supposed to be something requested by business travellers so they can quickly get back to work. Unless you want your main course to get cold, you have to leave the starter for after the main course. The cloth napkins have been replaced by paper and at lunch the dessert is wrapped in foil or plastic - not very Green as VIA brags about their service. I have experienced the new service six times. On the plus side: being a Premier member I have always received my choice of meals. The food and service has been very good. The wine continues to be of good quality. With the abundance of reduced fares in Business Class - you don't need to wait for one of VIA's 50% sales - I can live with this. Some of the advance purchase fares are more than 50% off. But I wouldn't be too happy if I was paying full fare.
So I guess seeing the "Canadian's" menue's are no more on line?
I always enjoyed looking at them and drooling over them. My brother has taken the "Canadian" the last two summers and laments not being able to look them up! :(
 #1254250  by electricron

While it is nice to know what the menus will be by looking them up on line, those same menus also limits what might be available. Almost every great chef changes his/her menus often, and adds specials depending upon what becomes available from his/her suppliers. I hear it could be a three night journey on the Canadian, a set menu will limit choices. I'm all in favor giving the chef more freedom to take advantage of what becomes available each day. That's what I hope is being done. Of course, it could be just the opposite, that VIA is taking certain foods off the menu and limiting choices.
 #1254541  by NS VIA FAN

I did the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver in December and didn’t really notice any downgrade in meals from previous trips…….still plenty of choices. At breakfast, besides the usual bacon/ham/sausage and eggs, pancakes etc, there was a different omelet each morning.

One particular meal I really enjoyed now was the mid-morning Brunch replacing Breakfast and Lunch on the third day. There was still a continental breakfast available for the early risers and I enjoyed hot muffins and coffee in the Park Car as we rolled into Edmonton through a snow storm.

Having your meal mid-morning allows “room” to sample some of the local cuisine of Jasper during the early afternoon stopover. Have you tried a Beaver Tail?

And I saved the best for the last evening: Prime Rib along with Onion Soup, Garden Salad and Chocolate Mousse for desert!