Railroad Forums 

• Lima CSX

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1250973  by samcat

Anyone working out of Lima for CSX? I've been conditionally offered a job as a freight conductor (assuming I pass my physicals and such). I have a million questions and I am hoping for some guidance. (Trekker, Brunomax or anyone else).

Thanks!!
 #1252702  by trekker

I work out of a nearby terminal and may be able to answer a few questions.
 #1252717  by samcat

Thanks Trekker. Seems the main question and concern I have right now is the risk of furlough after I complete my training period. Do you know what the situation is like in Lima and if that is a real possibility. I know one of the two guys that are down at REDI right now in conductor training for the Lima terminal. I am guessing I might be one of the next two sent down, so that will be four new conductors right there.

At the interview they kept telling us how busy Lima is, and that they wanted to hire six new conductors, but then I hear stories about guys who were furloughed the greater part of 2013 out of Lima. What is your opinion as to this situation?
 #1253821  by trekker

It depends on the economy. Nobody has been furloughed at my terminal this winter, and I'm pretty sure nobody got it in Lima. There is really no way to handicap it. If they don't have enough traffic, people get cut off. I will say this year was very busy through the winter. The boards have turned quickly all winter long. Lots of money being made right now.