Railroad Forums 

• Great Walton Railroad/Hartwell Railroad Info Needed

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #1014680  by frankgaron2

Hi All:

Will be in Georgia next month and would love to catch some Great Walton Railroad/Hartwell Railroad action.

Can anybody tell me where my best bet would be - where do they keep their locomotives, best days/times to catch them, etc etc? I know they have at least 3-4 different lines now - I can hit any and all I need to.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Frank
 #1253470  by MattW

If you prowl the Social Circle-Monroe segment for a few hours, you should catch at least something. There might be some action at the CSX Interchange with Social Circle, but there's not really a great vantage point except maybe a narrow bridge to the east of the area, but no real public parking unless you want to walk all the way from the downtown area. Their shop is up the road a bit, but no good public vantage points, even the two grade crossings on each side you would need a telephoto lens to get any details. Highway 11 runs parallel to the track for a few miles and if you can catch a train and beat it to one of the grade crossings, that's your best bet for any photo opportunities.