Railroad Forums 

• CN Training, Hiring, etc.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1235467  by dannyh1977

Hi all, I used the SF but didn't find anything pertaining to my question.

On 19 Dec, I have the switch test. I understand what that is. I also understand that they (CN) will do their interviews that same day. I've read all that I could read from the interweb like Glassdoor.com, this and other RR forums. There is nothing really clear on where the CN training centers are. I am in Milwaukee and am hoping to be hired out of Fond du Lac or Neenah/Green Bay.

Any tips, hints, things to study up on or things to know would be appreciated.

Also, I understand that this is a *lifestyle* and not just a job. I'm am ready for this. I want this and I am willing to do what it takes to get hired on.

Thanks all.

-DH.
 #1237511  by dannyh1977

I know that answering your own thread is faux pas, but I went to the hiring session. I took the switch test, passed, did an interview at 1530 and then was offered a jobby job by 1800!! I accepted, of course, and I now have the background check(no worries), the physical(again, no worries) then start on 20Jan14 in Tinley Park, IL. This is awesome. Thanks.

-DH
 #1238008  by Deval

The CN does not have any training centers in the US. They are currently building a new training center in Homewood IL across the street from their administration building.

Currently conductor training takes place in conference rooms at a hotel in Tinley Park, the Woodcrest shops and field training is at Glenn Yard by Midway Airport.
 #1239097  by dannyh1977

Thanks Deval. I thought they built that training center in Tinley Park already (the 100,000ft2 facility). I took the physical and passed. Like I have said before, the class starts on 20Jan. Right now, I am gonna finish my last year of roofing apprenticeship and that way I have a furlough (uggggh) back-up plan. I am so ready to get to school. I hope that all have had a good holiday season!

-dh
 #1240070  by dannyh1977

I received an email today that said I was being passed up for the job. This was at lunch. I saw this email and I was like, awwwwwwww, dammmmm! I called the recruiter down in Chicago. He was all like did you apply for more than one position? I said yep. He was then all that was the *other* position. You are scheduled to start on the 20th! What a relief! Then I got the official word at 1730 or so. I was listening to ZZTop and the phone dinged..... there it was. My login for the CN portal and all the stuff I have to bring to class. How exciting! Well, to all who has read this thread, here we go!! My family and I are all ready for this. Ill keep everyone posted who may care, of course, on this or a new thread. Thanks again.

-dh
 #1248374  by drewcarr1

JUst wanted to know what the training pay was at CN in the Chicago area,,,I just applied online today..couldn't find training pay anywhere on any of the threads.