Railroad Forums 

• Job

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Job

#1241949  by riverat39

Hi!

My name is Everett Dean, I have a question, I'm blind in my left eye from glaucoma, I see perfect out of my right eye, do I have any kind of chance getting hired by any rail road, all I want to do is work on the engines are whatever, I'd start at the dirtiest, hottest job just to get my foot in the door, I'm thinking of going to a tech school ether for auto are heavy diesel mechanic class, any input would help a lot.

Thank You!
Everett Dean
 #1242117  by WhiskeyBravo270

Apply and find out. I doubt you could get a train crew job but I imagine you could be a mechanic. Call railroads you're interested in and ask to speak with their medical review team; they will be able to give you a solid answer. Good Luck.
 #1242125  by Freddy

A review of the Americans with Disabilities Act would probably be wise. It might provide you with a little extra ammo when you start to ask questions. Knowledge is always power.
I sincerely wish you luck.
 #1242413  by riverat39

Thanks for the input, I'll look into everything you say
 #1242600  by Engineer Spike

Look online for 49 CFR 242. This is the federal requirements for conductors.

I understand your concern, since I am deaf in one ear. The ADA only goes so far, since this is a safety critical job. I can't remember the vision requirements, but you may be OK. In my case, I am not totally deaf in that ear, although it is almost nothing. The good one has to at least be correctable to a certain level, and my good ear is good without assistance.

Back to the ADA, the company has to make practical assistance available, which could help me do my job. In my case they bought me David Clark headphones.