Railroad Forums 

• conductor Cicero Alternate

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1238003  by trvr815

Interviewed for the BNSF at the end of Nov. Got a msg 2 days afterwards that I was an alternate. Curious if anyone else on this board is in the same boat?
 #1238039  by seark23

Hang tight. I was chosen as an alternate and received my conditional offer two weeks later. Keep checking your email. Good luck to you!
 #1238176  by trvr815

seark23 wrote:Hang tight. I was chosen as an alternate and received my conditional offer two weeks later. Keep checking your email. Good luck to you!
Thanks. Yes, I think the call will come through. How I understood it, while sitting in the hiring session with the other 200, is that if you received an alternate status you were pegged for the 2 future conductor classes in February and March. Or if some candidates didn't get through the background/medical ect. for the up coming January 2014 class.

Interested to see if anyone is in a similar situation or have been hired/turned down. I'm at UP now but am counting my days to a transportation career.
 #1238651  by trvr815

JeepRR wrote:What's your reason for leaving UP may I ask? And how is it over there at Proviso? I only ask because I may be leaving to work for them on their train crews...
I'm on the mechanical side of operations. I am not at Proviso however I do know a few people on mechanical that came from there. I hear the environment - worker to worker/worker & management are toxic. That being said I also know many conductors/engineers on the Illinois side. They all say it's okay. Remember UP is all closed seniority districts as well. So plan to stay. Conductor to engineer in roughly 2 years. If you are forced into their large commuter operations 12-15 hour days all straight time pay 5 days a week.
 #1238654  by trvr815

JeepRR wrote:I work in the Chicago yard. They're mad hurting for conductors. You will get called. Patience...
Thanks JeepRR. Looking forward to coming and busting some a##.
I would like to get my switching down in the yard and move on to the road in due time. I also am told engineer in roughly 1 year if so desired?
 #1238712  by trvr815

JeepRR wrote:You may have to wait in line. They had 3 classes this fall. And more in the spring. So there will be a line ahead of you no doubt. But that'll help you get the better jobs faster if they do go to engineer ya know. I hate commuter. I'm a people person but I'd rather not deal with customers. Here at the Bnsf. The commuter jobs are the hard ones to get. Everybody wants em. I don't. I know I won't be happy punching tickets and collecting fees. But that's just me
Are you saying I'll be waiting in line for a start date to be hired or are you referring to the 1 year engineers spot after one's hired?
I completely agree with the commuter side. I'm a personable person however, to have to put on the 'clown suits' and punch tickets would completely suck! I'll stick with freight.
 #1241568  by trvr815

Red wrote:The BN side has a class of engineers of around 18 starting jan 6. My understanding is that the seniority of the conductors that got in was a year or less. I've heard they're having another class of engineers starting in march. I imagine you could get into engine service in a year or less, if the opportunity presents itself.
Thx Red. What's your background are you at Cicero?
Shoot me a PM if you get some time.