Railroad Forums 

• Train stuck in Hudson river tunnel last night...

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1237701  by wintower

At 11:00p.last night all the major NY television stations were reporting a "train stuck in the Hudson tunnels". On NBC is was reported as being an Amtrash train, CBS and ABC claimed it was a NJT, anybody know the details?
 #1237725  by ryanov

I was on 3895 last night. It was completely packed and the crew said it was because another train broke down and we took their passengers. I wonder did 3893 also have trouble, or did they just split the passengers, or...?
 #1237733  by ThirdRail7

ryanov wrote:I was on 3895 last night. It was completely packed and the crew said it was because another train broke down and we took their passengers. I wonder did 3893 also have trouble, or did they just split the passengers, or...?

You probably split passengers. 3893 has 100's of standees and didn't leave until almost 1100pm. Some passengers from 3893 probably said I might as well wait for 3895.
 #1237821  by philipmartin

Steampowered wrote:i was wondering the same thing, i was running to catch that train, then decided it was too much effort. Being lazy paid off well.
Yes. But you missed an NJT adventure, changing trains in the middle of the tunnel, maybe.
 #1237822  by lirr42

philipmartin wrote:I wonder how they transferred the passengers and got trains around the disabled one.
Probably line up cab car to cab car and walk them through.
 #1237840  by philipmartin

[quote=Probably line up cab car to cab car and walk them through.[/quote]
That's good. Of course, if the overhead power was off, they would have had to run an LIRR train in to do it.
I was afraid the passengers had to walk the bench wall between the trains, and risk falling onto the third rail below.
(For the record, I'm not serious.)
So far we don't know how it was done or where the trains actually were.
Years ago a maintainer told me that he had been on the bench wall in one of the tunnels when he heard a train coming with a swinging door bouncing off the bench wall. He was scared out of his wits.
Last edited by philipmartin on Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 #1237852  by Steampowered

philipmartin wrote:
Steampowered wrote:i was wondering the same thing, i was running to catch that train, then decided it was too much effort. Being lazy paid off well.
Yes. But you missed an NJT adventure, changing trains in the middle of the tunnel, maybe.
I never did that ! :)
 #1237861  by baldwr

The term stuck leaves a lot to interpretation. I have been on both Amtrak and NJT trains that got stuck in the tunnel, though more the former rather than the later.

If the motors' circuit breaker trips, it may not be possible to reset it if the cab car is leading. That is what the "protect" power is for. Assuming it was a "on board" problem, the protect power would come in and take the train back to NYP or Secaucus where passengers could then safely disembark and transfer:

On NJT I was going into the city, and we were shoved to NYP.

On Amtrak we became disabled right at the west portal of the north tube. The were able to at least "reset" the breaker and limp into Secaucus. There they allowed NWK, MET, TRE passengers transfer to NJT at no additional charge...

None of this works, however if the breaker feeding the overhead catenary trips, or a wire comes down. Had it been a pulled wire, the situation would probably taken more time to recover from...
 #1237872  by DutchRailnut

According to this the train was just pulled out of tunnel by diesel and no word of any in tunnel transfer.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nj- ... -1.1554675" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1237882  by philipmartin

DutchRailnut wrote:According to this the train was just pulled out of tunnel by diesel and no word of any in tunnel transfer.
Thanks for the info.
When I worked in Penn Station briefly in the 1950s, diesel diners used to stink it up. It seems to me that a diesel locomotive would do an even better job.
 #1237906  by wintower

philipmartin wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:According to this the train was just pulled out of tunnel by diesel and no word of any in tunnel transfer.
Thanks for the info.
When I worked in Penn Station briefly in the 1950s, diesel diners used to stink it up. It seems to me that a diesel locomotive would do an even better job.
They do and on more occasions than the public knows or Amtrash would admit...