Railroad Forums 

• The Raritan Valley Line Thread…

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1179886  by many19

Well everyone,
All the extra track being worked on at Cranford and beyond is all storm preparation as " rvlch " has noted.
I spoke to my engineer and he has confirmed it.
NJ Transit wishes to have a higher ground location to place as much equipment as possible.

Since they can't get rid of the track because it is own my Conrail. They decided to fix it up and have as much of it ready for the next big storm.

I hope they have a contingency plan for vandal proofing this area also because most of these tracks and yard area is open to a lot of traffic.

Thank you
 #1179923  by Don31

many19 wrote:Well everyone,
All the extra track being worked on at Cranford and beyond is all storm preparation as " rvlch " has noted.
I spoke to my engineer and he has confirmed it.
NJ Transit wishes to have a higher ground location to place as much equipment as possible.

Since they can't get rid of the track because it is own my Conrail. They decided to fix it up and have as much of it ready for the next big storm.

I hope they have a contingency plan for vandal proofing this area also because most of these tracks and yard area is open to a lot of traffic.

Thank you
Vandalism is of course possible, but not likely in this area.
 #1180173  by srock1028

genesis11980 wrote:Any one know what train that 4-car set w/4147 went east on this morning? That "Bay Head Banger"-like consist must have been a sardine can.
I think you mean yesterday, May 1. The 4147+4 was a bay head start on the 1st and I think it went WEST on 5423. Today that set was at the MMC.
 #1180222  by ChrisU

srock1028 wrote:
genesis11980 wrote:Any one know what train that 4-car set w/4147 went east on this morning? That "Bay Head Banger"-like consist must have been a sardine can.
I think you mean yesterday, May 1. The 4147+4 was a bay head start on the 1st and I think it went WEST on 5423. Today that set was at the MMC.
In the afternoon for the past few weeks 5423 and 5434 have been getting Coastline sets.
 #1180429  by Jtgshu

srock1028 wrote:
I heard it on 5447 and it was yarded in Raritan that night. Im not sure if it did an easbound trip inbetween 23 and 47, but it sounded like they came out of the MMC for 47
 #1188778  by braves

I believe from what I read that the Raritan Valley Coalition met on May 22 to discuss bringing one direct rider Raritan Valley Line trains into New York.

What came out of that meeting, please post and if there is any newspaper articles about this, please post it as well.
 #1190540  by Don31

I was at that meeting. The newspaper article is pretty much accurate. It was basically a pep rally to galvanize local support to lobby NJT to free up a peak hour slot or two for RVL trains.
 #1237092  by millerm277

One-seat off peak rides begin March 2. 10AM-2PM arrivals to NYP, 11AM-3PM departures, weekdays only. Later they are planning on doing the same for 8PM-1AM trains. So looks like 4-5 trains a day each way initially, and the same amount added with the later expansion. Probably not really all that useful to most people, but it's something.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/ ... gins-March" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1237671  by nick11a

millerm277 wrote:One-seat off peak rides begin March 2. 10AM-2PM arrivals to NYP, 11AM-3PM departures, weekdays only. Later they are planning on doing the same for 8PM-1AM trains. So looks like 4-5 trains a day each way initially, and the same amount added with the later expansion. Probably not really all that useful to most people, but it's something.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/ ... gins-March" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is useful for some, not as much for the mass population. Still, this will be a great way to ease into the service and allow any kinks that pop up to be ironed out.
 #1237856  by baldwr

nick11a wrote:
millerm277 wrote:One-seat off peak rides begin March 2. 10AM-2PM arrivals to NYP, 11AM-3PM departures, weekdays only. Later they are planning on doing the same for 8PM-1AM trains. So looks like 4-5 trains a day each way initially, and the same amount added with the later expansion. Probably not really all that useful to most people, but it's something.

It is useful for some, not as much for the mass population. Still, this will be a great way to ease into the service and allow any kinks that pop up to be ironed out.
I agree... This will be a welcomed addition even if limited. Baby steps... Rome wasn't built in a day.

Though it is bit of an inverse to Midtown Direct's launch in '96 (i.e MD had a "all day" weekday schedule), Midtown Direct service was not all at once. First came weekdays, then weekends, etc. MD had its share of teething problems to...

I think when they eventually put in the late evening weekday departures, that will start to benefit the commuter a bit more. People tend to work / leave the city late. They don't tend to go to work late. Also, it will be nice not to have to hang out in Penn Sta Newark in the late evening, or leave the city earlier than necessary.