Railroad Forums 

• Dear Santa

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1236059  by jaymac

Dear Santa,
Please, sir, I want some more. I know that sounds a bit like Oliver Twist -- okay, more than a bit -- but consider what my fellow posters and I and -- far more importantly -- the workers and customers past and present of Pan American Railways and its interests and assigns as they may appear have seen and experienced over the last bunch of decades.
I don't want to appear ungrateful for the improvements that have recently taken place. They're awesome. I just want some more of them and quicker. I know I've sometimes seemed sour, but I don't want to 86 anything. What I want is to 286 everything. Yes, I know that one of my fellow posters has claimed that 263 is 286, but if you substitute an "=" for "is," you then get what looks to me like an inequality statement, but I'm an English major in recovery and not a mathematician so my reading may be suspect. I do remember enough from my sophomore Economics classes to know that there exists something called "pent-up demand." Perhaps that phenomenon is what so many of us are now undergoing. To go all cliché, a corner has been turned, but there's still miles to be traveled and promises to be kept, to go all indirect and rephrased quotation.
If I could list a few things, besides the 286 projects, these might serve as guidance for your generosity.
-Please do what you can to exalt the valleys, make the mountains and hills low, and the crooked straight within the confines of Gardner Yard. I'm getting Toonerville Trolley flashbacks from the yard tracks there.
-Make even better the improving relationships with connecting, trackage, and overhead lines because what goes well for one can go better for all.
-Keep on reducing en route power failures. Even the Ponies can throw a shoe, but keeping things moving is critical to reliability and customer confidence.
-Keep on reducing the adversarial relationship between workers and management. Committed -- not fearful and resentful -- workers are the best guarantor of a prosperous future. All it takes is a series of protracted job briefings to bring things to a halt.
I could go on, but I've already overfilled the window, and others may want to add.
Thank you!
jaymac
 #1236140  by MEC407

Great post as always, Jay. :-D

I can't help but wish that Elder Mr. Fink would come out of retirement just long enough to don a Santa suit and hand out candy canes from the rear porch of ST 100. Even with the Pittsburgh accent I think he'd make a convincing Jolly Ol' Saint Nick.
 #1236230  by johnpbarlow

Items to add to the PAR fan wish list:
1. More PAR and NS Heritage units
2. More carbon (solid and/or liquid) hauling trains
3. Phone # a fan could call to get a train lineup for the day.
4. Cab rides for fans
5. A working B&M/MEC steam locomotive (or maybe fan trips with Valley RR NH 2-8-2 or NKP 759).
 #1236274  by MEC407

johnpbarlow wrote: 5. A working B&M/MEC steam locomotive (or maybe fan trips with Valley RR NH 2-8-2 or NKP 759).
Your best bet for #5 would be to donate to the MEC 470 restoration fund. Eventually she'll be able to run on the Rockland Branch and a portion of the Calais Branch... and maybe if that goes exceedingly well, PAR might at some point entertain the idea of a 470 excursion on their rails.
 #1236444  by doublestack

Would love to see Pan Am re-paint #614 with the Maine Central heritage harvest gold and green stripes. The reasoning why, this unit seems be the one mostly used by CSX for pay-back hours around the country and has been spotted as far west as Colorado. Railfans everywhere would be chasing this engine trying to get a photo of this strange sighting.