Railroad Forums 

• BNSF La Crosse

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1230336  by bgdave88

Hi there, I just got hired by the BN out of La Crosse WI as a Conductor Trainee. Going through the background and medical checks right now before they give us a start date. Just was wondering if anyone else works out of La Crosse terminal and what its like? I have been a day cab semi truck driver for the last few years and know what its like to be on nothing but relief boards and on call, so was hoping this would be a good fit for me. Any help or advice is appreciated. Just also wanted to introduce myself to the forum. Looking forward to a new career.
 #1230932  by EricL

From an engineer's perspective… it is a LONG trip from LaCrosse to Eola/Cicero/wherever in Chicago. The railroad is a piece of cake west of Savanna, and a total pain in the ass east of it. However, as a conductor, you don't really have to worry about all that. You just take the warrants, call the form B's, and fill out the paperwork. lol

I've only run over that railroad twice, but both times, there certainly did not seem to be any shortage of business. And business is good for you, Mr. New Guy, because it means: not being furloughed!
 #1231335  by Engineer Spike

I never worked out of LaCrosse, but to there. They work to TC, Chicago/ Aurora, and Galesburg. They had a short pool to Savanna, but I'm not sure if it still exists.

I sure can attest to the length of the Chicago run. Galesburg is a hike too.