• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

Interesting, the baggage doors swing open. First time ever as far as I'm aware, including the legacy roads, which preferred sliders, and Amtrak, which has installed roll-up doors on rebuilt NPCU and coach-to-baggage conversions.

Also, with regard to Budd's post about the name, I personally never questioned that they would be called "Viewliner II". Amtrak never gave any indication that they wouldn't be, and they're not exactly a group that is known for shizophrenic branding.
  by dlezette

Here is Amtrak's youtube video on the new cars. Check the old school striping AND the pointless arrow logo, as well as "Amtrak America" lettering. Maybe the throwback branding is just for the testing/public rollout of the prototypes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHAGdl5J ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Gilbert B Norman

OK; I'll buy it.

I never said they wouldn't; never said they shouldn't. But nevertheless, this represents, along with the YouTube video linked by Mr. Dlezette, the first official reference to Viewliner with the cars.

Also noted is the further 'slippage' with the entry to revenue service, which is now Summer 2014. Oh well, maybe Amtrak will hire the same crisis management consultants the Boeing had as the 787 Dreamliner delivery schedule slipped further and further. Let us hope there need not be some kind of withdrawal of the cars after entering revenue service like unto the Acela and the Talgos. Oh, but lest amongst our friends in the sky anyone gloat (there is a Flight Attendant amongst the membership at another site at which I participate), remember the B-787 had a few 'issues' after entering revenue service.

Finally, could we be looking at a return to Phase 3 livery?
  by theozno

Gilbert B Norman wrote:OK; I'll buy it.

I never said they wouldn't; never said they shouldn't. But nevertheless, this represents, along with the YouTube video linked by Mr. Dlezette, the first official reference to Viewliner with the cars.

Also noted is the further 'slippage' with the entry to revenue service, which is now Summer 2014. Oh well, maybe Amtrak will hire the same crisis management consultants the Boeing had as the 787 Dreamliner delivery schedule slipped further and further. Let us hope there need not be some kind of withdrawal of the cars after entering revenue service like unto the Acela and the Talgos. Oh, but lest amongst our friends in the sky anyone gloat (there is a Flight Attendant amongst the membership at another site at which I participate), remember the B-787 had a few 'issues' after entering revenue service.

i will ride them under 1 condition... I would like to get to Florida for a trip but for the love of modernization, Is the toilet in the rooms or not. I hate the veiwliners for that reason.
  by Greg Moore

theozno wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:OK; I'll buy it.

i will ride them under 1 condition... I would like to get to Florida for a trip but for the love of modernization, Is the toilet in the rooms or not. I hate the veiwliners for that reason.
They (in my mind unfortunately) removed the toilets from the new viewliner bedrooms.
  by Matt Johnson

dlezette wrote:Check the old school striping AND the pointless arrow logo, as well as "Amtrak America" lettering. Maybe the throwback branding is just for the testing/public rollout of the prototypes?
I hope so, as I think the current color scheme looks much better. But otherwise, the new cars look awesome! After a long and exhausting ride on train 67 from NYP to WBG this morning I realized that those 2-1 business class seats look a lot more comfortable than they actually are (at least for sleeping). I think that's a train that could use a Viewliner!
  by Amtk30

Interesting blog and tube visuals of the Viewliner II's taking shape. The new cars really look good!

Love that phase III striping! :-D

Amtk30
  by SwingMan

Honestly, I would love for them to just have straight stainless steel cars. No paint. Especially the baggage cars, since they are used system wide.

So far I love the decor, it looks more "high class" and up to date than the current Viewliners (and Superliner II). Hopefully with the arrival of these cars, they also replace the modules from the current Viewliner cars up to the newer standards.
  by CNJGeep

"Amtrak" Amtrak moderator41 minutes agoWith the launch of our new single-level long distance equipment – the “Viewliner II”, Amtrak is also launching Amtrak America, a brand that will encompass all that is great about Amtrak’s long-haul trains, including those with sleeper class service. Amtrak’s route brands will continue, and this brand will make the conversation and overall service offerings clear to our customers and stakeholders.  Amtrak America will utilize our Phase Three striping on the single-level long distance cars as a tribute to our heritage. The first cars released from production will also carry Amtrak’s heritage logo in honor of our past. Amtrak’s current logo will return on the standard production cars.
  by gaspeamtrak

dlezette wrote:Here is Amtrak's youtube video on the new cars. Check the old school striping AND the pointless arrow logo, as well as "Amtrak America" lettering. Maybe the throwback branding is just for the testing/public rollout of the prototypes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHAGdl5J ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope they exercise the option for the 70 cars and maybe add more cars as coaches to as long they have a production line up and running! :D :-D
  by Matt Johnson

That's a shame on the branding thing, as Amtrak finally had its entire fleet consistent with the classy dark blue band that I think looks a lot better than the more amateurish bright rainbow colors. But oh well, Amtrak can never leave its color scheme alone for long. I don't understand though, is it just the Viewliners that are going Phase III? Or will it be the Amfleet II's as well? What about the Superliner fleet?
  by Greg Moore

gaspeamtrak wrote:
dlezette wrote:Here is Amtrak's youtube video on the new cars. Check the old school striping AND the pointless arrow logo, as well as "Amtrak America" lettering. Maybe the throwback branding is just for the testing/public rollout of the prototypes?

I hope they exercise the option for the 70 cars and maybe add more cars as coaches to as long they have a production line up and running! :D :-D
With the current budget climate in DC, I think the odds of 70 additional cars are extremely low. Unless states for some reason elect to sponsor cars.
  by acelaphillies

Matt Johnson wrote:That's a shame on the branding thing, as Amtrak finally had its entire fleet consistent with the classy dark blue band that I think looks a lot better than the more amateurish bright rainbow colors. But oh well, Amtrak can never leave its color scheme alone for long. I don't understand though, is it just the Viewliners that are going Phase III? Or will it be the Amfleet II's as well? What about the Superliner fleet?
I don't think anyone expected this move! I agree with you Matt, I did not see Amtrak adjusting its livery (at least on passenger cars) any time in the foreseeable future because they finally had everything uniform.

I think from what the recent post just read we can assume that the Amfleet II's will be going into Phase III but not the Superliners. It seems kind of wierd to me to have two paint schemes at the same time. For example, the ACS-64's are being built in Phase V. When they are hauling NE Regionals in Phase IVb Amfleets everything will match, but I guess that the LD trains on the NEC will not match the engine.

But I can tell you this. Someone real high up at Amtrak REALLY likes Phase III. Has anyone else noticed how the Pointless Arrow has slowly been slipping its way back onto the business cars? The entire exhibit train was painted in Phase III. And then they repainted the Great Dome 10031 into Phase III. Can anyone think of any other instances?

That is why I am surprised, but yet not surprised to see the Phase III on the new Viewliners. I'm calling that soon the 10001 gets the repaint.
  by Pacific 2-3-1

Per today's RAILWAY AGE website:

"The “Ocean View” name has been restored to the car, which has a dome section that runs its full length, a rare feature, even when dome cars were more numerous on the nation’s railroads. In addition, it was repainted in honor of the Amtrak 40th Anniversary in 2011 and wears equal-size red, white, and blue stripes, symbolic of Amtrak being America's Railroad®."
  by Matt Johnson

Remember what a mess Amtrak trains used to look like when the company was in between color schemes? That's what I see happening again due to the silly branding/partial phase III revival.

But colors aside, this is great news and a much needed addition to the fleet. I just wish it were more cars being ordered (especially with the Superliner attrition over the years diminishing the long distance fleet). So, realistically, how far can they stretch the expanded Viewliner fleet? I assume the Cardinal will get a diner and maybe another sleeper, the Florida trains and Crescent will get an extra sleeper. Will trains 66/67 get their sleeper back?

Further complicating matters, will the Viewliner I's start disappearing for extended periods of time to get converted to Viewliner II specs as soon as the new Viewliners come online?