Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1115901  by Station Aficionado

Amid all the gloom of late re the Canadian, Ocean and Northlanders, here's a bit of good news for Canadian intercity service:http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technology ... story.html
Just in time for Christmas, Via Rail Canada is adding two new direct routes between Ottawa and Quebec City, plus two new departure times between Ottawa and Toronto, all starting Dec. 10.

Overall, the busy Ottawa — Toronto — Quebec City corridor will see four new trains per weekday and four more on weekends, for a total of 28.

Via will offer the new direct trains travelling between Ottawa and Quebec City in only five hours and 30 minutes. Departures from Monday to Friday at 5:35 a.m. from Quebec City and at 4:10 p.m. from Ottawa will be offered, starting at $75 in Economy class and $158 in Business class.

Two new departure times will be added to the 14 daily options already available for train travel to and from Ottawa and Toronto: at 2:25 p.m. departing from Toronto and at 7:30 a.m. departing from Ottawa, Monday to Friday.

The story also notes the return to service of some rehabilitated F-40's and progress on a grade-crossing elimination program.
 #1115985  by NeoArashi

I was actually about to ask why my planned return trip to Quebec City from Ottawa only has 1 train... Gues your thread answered my question. Thanks!
 #1210821  by NH2060

Do the direct Ottawa-Quebec City trains (#s 33 and 28) backup to reposition themselves upon arriving @ Montreal or do they run with a loco on each end so they can switch direction at the station?
 #1210824  by Ken V

Trains 33 and 28 normally back up on departure from Montreal Central Station and take the wye near Victoria Bridge before proceeding forward. There are an extra 10 minutes added to the schedule of each train for this move.