Railroad Forums 

• Comet I's Officially Retired?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1146495  by NJT4115

airman00 wrote:On sterling rail classifieds, now just 5 comet 1 cars left for sale. There were 20 recently, so apparently someone bought 15 of them. I wonder who?
Please, no scrappers! Spare these innocent cars :)
 #1146682  by Tadman

Quote of the month here...
smell like burrito night at a prison
Most commuter trains I ride tend to smell like commercial disinfectant. However, you ride the Chicago subway late at night and it smells like the bottom of a toilet. I came back from a date last night on the Howard train and about tossed cookies it smelled so bad. Then, you have your Sunday morning vom-on-the-platform (I live near a college).

mmmmkayyyyyyyyy....
 #1146899  by ApproachMedium

Most commuter trains smell like that because of the stupid chemical bio toilets they use. If they would switch to a vac system like the superliners and viewliners have, they wouldnt have this problem. LIRR and MNCRR have them on their M7 series cars and they also dont smell like toilets/chemicals.
 #1197807  by GP40MC 1116

Does anyone know if there are any Comet 1 cars left on NJT property that are not spoken for (scrap or donated). Similar to those cars that were donated to museums and the MCVX cars? I know a public safety organization that could benefit from the use of one or two cars to train emergency responders
 #1197874  by NJT4115

GP40MC 1116 wrote:Does anyone know if there are any Comet 1 cars left on NJT property that are not spoken for (scrap or donated). Similar to those cars that were donated to museums and the MCVX cars? I know a public safety organization that could benefit from the use of one or two cars to train emergency responders
I don't think there are any left on property. The last time I saw one was at MMC in December of 2010. I was on I-95 heading towards New York, but I didn't get a really good view of the car. There are plenty of Comets at the Whippany Railroad Museum.
 #1197906  by 25Hz

NJT4115 wrote:
GP40MC 1116 wrote:Does anyone know if there are any Comet 1 cars left on NJT property that are not spoken for (scrap or donated). Similar to those cars that were donated to museums and the MCVX cars? I know a public safety organization that could benefit from the use of one or two cars to train emergency responders
I don't think there are any left on property. The last time I saw one was at MMC in December of 2010. I was on I-95 heading towards New York, but I didn't get a really good view of the car. There are plenty of Comets at the Whippany Railroad Museum.
So that's where they are based out of when i see them in rail videos....
 #1197978  by sixty-six

NJT4115 wrote:
There are some still on the property.
 #1198863  by ns3010

sixty-six wrote:
NJT4115 wrote:
There are some still on the property.

Are those cars still at Winslow Jct?
 #1200961  by GP40MC 1116

I ended up contacting the Sterling Rail Inc. contact to see what information he could provide for me. From what I recived, there are 20 comet 1 cars left. 10 are cab units and the other 10 are trailer cars. 5 of the cars are located in Winslow Junction, NJ. The only information that confuses me, is I also found a similar posting (http://www.trains-trams-trolleys.com/home/coaches.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to show 5 Comet 1 coaches in NJ.

Wasn't able to get car numbers, as I would have had to agree to Sterling Rail’s Buyers Brokers agreement in order to get the car numbers, but I am fairly certain these are it:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3179745" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1200994  by 25Hz

No sign of them anywhere in the vicinity on google earth. The tiles in that area are pretty fresh too.