Railroad Forums 

• Port Jefferson Branch Trackwork

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1190940  by John 61

The LIRR was putting in new rail and ties this morning westbound at the Smithtown Station area. Another work train was stationed westbound with about a dozen ballast cars at St James. today Sunday June 2nd.
 #1191165  by Teutobergerwald

The crossing at Laurel Rd/Larkfield Rd in East Northport was replaced this past weekend, but it's not much of an improvement over what was there.....why bother if you're just going to do a shitty job???
 #1191407  by RestrictOnTheHanger

Teutobergerwald wrote:The crossing at Laurel Rd/Larkfield Rd in East Northport was replaced this past weekend, but it's not much of an improvement over what was there.....why bother if you're just going to do a * job???
It's still an improvement. The rubber crossing was wearing out pretty bad, so I'm glad they replaced it with concrete. I drive over that crossing every day and its better than it was. And IIRC when they did Elwood Rd about 4 years ago, they put the crossing in first and went back and repaved the approach. It's still holding up good over there.
 #1191694  by Teutobergerwald

Yes, Laurel Rd. and Larkfield are being repaved between the split with Vernon Valley Rd down to Pulaski Rd. Looking forward to that being completed.
 #1192035  by RestrictOnTheHanger

Teutobergerwald wrote:Yes, Laurel Rd. and Larkfield are being repaved between the split with Vernon Valley Rd down to Pulaski Rd. Looking forward to that being completed.
They did it all today (Wednesday). No more slowing down for the crossing, smooth as silk.
 #1194136  by John 61

As off 11am Sat 6-15 I happened to be in St.James and the railroad crew had the whole Lake Avenue crossing dug out and were replacing the rail. No work trains are there.
 #1194303  by John 61

There was a cut of 8 - 10 Ballast Hoppers on the main track at the west end of Smithtown station . I did hear a work train eastbound around 5:30 pm heading east.
 #1194323  by Shavano

Those were the MTYs from Saturday's work. WE2 ran back to pick that cut up at 5 ,then went west to Kings Park and tied down on the main with the full consist just west of Fox 1; headed west an hour later.
 #1195868  by John 61

Out with the old and in with the new. New rail and concrete ties Sat.Jun 22 2013 between Lake Ave & Moriches Rd. St. James NY.