Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1176704  by 25Hz

Seems like this attack was actually targeting either the maple leaf, or the adirondack, both of which are operated by VIA crew inside Canada. I don't see any other train that VIA operates that goes between US & CA.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/22/world/ame ... e-t&page=1

Whatever. Terrorists can suck it. I'm not gonna let it affect my travel or anything else.
 #1176737  by NS VIA FAN

25Hz wrote:Seems like this attack was actually targeting either the maple leaf, or the adirondack, both of which are operated by VIA crew inside Canada......
No....VIA crews do not operate the Adirondack in Canada (nor the Cascade to Vancouver) these are strictly Amtrak operations while in Canada.

Only the Maple Leaf is operated and crewed by VIA in Canada.
 #1176836  by 25Hz

So, i guess that narrows it down then to the maple leaf being targeted, with VIA crew & from Toronto union station to the US.

No amount of derailing trains is gonna really affect people unless its like a dozen in a week. Engineers in locomotives can spot most track problems that would cause a derailment in enough time to prevent a serious incident. My guess is they woulda had to do it at night when visibility out of the cab was reduced....