Railroad Forums 

• Guilford Rail - Train Operation Managers??

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#115636  by tracker46

A friend recommended I check out employment with Guilford Rail. They have positions open for Train Operation Managers. I am a complete babe in the woods where it comes to railroads. Can someone explain this position to me and maybe offer some experienced guidance? Thanks for the help.

#116065  by Engineer Spike

This is what Guilford calls its train dispatchers. They went from a union craft to a non union job "management" position around the time of the big strike in the '80s.

#116089  by tracker46

What type of work is involved? Someone told me it was pretty high pressure.

#117152  by PChap

Tracker46,
I started with CSX at the first of this year as a conductor and with my limited experience with them it sounds like high pressure. Almost every time I talk to one he/she sounds like they wanna jump out the window. For example, last night pulling from Florence SC to Savannah GA we burnt a traction motor 50 miles out and had to shut it down. We contributed heavily to making it basically single main track the whole way to Sav through Charleston. Guess who's responsible for cleaning that mess up and getting trains clear to move? The dispatcher has to make it work as smoothly as possible. In other words they get held responsible in a way for a mess that just happened or is someone elses fault. Other than that I hear it pays well and is pretty rewarding for a job well done. If so, you may determine it's worth it. I guess it's like any other RR career, you have to weigh the sacrifice against the rewards.