Railroad Forums 

• Newbie question about NS hiring

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#116105  by ozone

I am very interested in attending a hiring session. The question I have is this: On NS job website they post they are hiring conductors for harrisburg, PA. Why are they holding sessions in Columbus and Cincinnati, OH? Are you required to move here (PA), or is this just your base of operation? I would like to know if I should wait until they are hiring in the cinci. area, before I waste my time.

#116128  by Avro Arrow

The hiring session is for the area specified (i.e. if you go to a session in Harrisburg, you'll work in Harrisburg).

#116347  by ozone

So they recruit from all over the US, and expect you to move to that area?
ex. recruiting for harrisburg, PA. in Cincinnati, OH. ?

#116352  by Avro Arrow

ozone wrote:So they recruit from all over the US, and expect you to move to that area?
ex. recruiting for harrisburg, PA. in Cincinnati, OH. ?
No, if they're having a session in Cinci, you will be based in Cinci. If you go to a session in Harriburg, you will be based in Harrisburg.

Not a difficult concept.

#116515  by bwparker1

Ozone:

NS has been hiring in Harrisburg for a few months now, and they hold those sessions slightly differently than the rest. If you look at the top of the employment page, it gives you the info on how to get into a Harrisburg Session. The other listed below follow the standard pattern, for some reason the Harrisburg session have become different

Brooks

#116518  by metman499

It's probably because they are having a great difficulty holding trainees. The Allentown sessions are netting one conductor, maybe none. The next batch of retirements could net a signifigant change in their hiring policies or they won't be able to move trains.

#116522  by Avro Arrow

Let me take a guess as to why:

They've been training guys and cutting them off as soon as they mark up?