Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1112952  by NeoArashi

Me and my Girlfriend are going to Montreal by train (from Québec City) on december 23rd (so we can take the train from Montreal to Weymont on december 24th). We already got our tickets for the Montreal-Weymont segment, but we have yet to get our Quebec-Montreal one.

We will be leaving at 7:45 AM, arriving at 11 AM, and we though of getting a Buisness class ticket. The fact that there is a breakfast included, and I'm pretty sure the seats are either more spacious or comfortable (or both) makes us want to get one of those. But would it be worth the price? I don't remember the exact price, but I know it'll be something like 2,5 times the price of regular fare tickets.

By the way, we are 24 and 20 years old, so we both pay the ''youth'' fare.
 #1112972  by 3rdrail

It depends on yourselves. You know yourselves a lot better than I do. If you're an energenic couple who is up and down a lot, rides with noisy headphones, can't be away from your cell phone, does a lot of speaking loudly and laughing, etc....you might be better of in Coach. On the other hand, if the extra cost is not an issue and you tend to be more sedate, I'd go with Business Class as the amenities are a little nicer making for a more comfortable ride.
 #1113014  by NeoArashi

3rdrail wrote:It depends on yourselves. You know yourselves a lot better than I do. If you're an energenic couple who is up and down a lot, rides with noisy headphones, can't be away from your cell phone, does a lot of speaking loudly and laughing, etc....you might be better of in Coach. On the other hand, if the extra cost is not an issue and you tend to be more sedate, I'd go with Business Class as the amenities are a little nicer making for a more comfortable ride.
What are the amenities included in the buisness class, by the way? I'm only aware of the meal.
 #1113049  by 3rdrail

You can find that out by a phone call or net site but I'm sure it's comparable to Amtrak's. Larger seats, quiet room setting, complementary drinks, etc. - just a nicer overall experience.
 #1113091  by Ken V

Business Class on VIA is not really comparable to Amtrak's and the price shows it. VIA's is more like Amtrak's First Class in that a meal is included in the fare. There are also complementary beverages (as well as alcoholic drinks with lunch and dinner) and, if I remember, free newspapers and magazines are available to read. There is more leg room in Business Class but the seats are basically the same as in Economy.

Whether it's worth it or not depends on your own tastes. I certainly enjoy the pampering you receive and the food and drink is good, but I generally don't feel the extra cost is justified unless you can get a deal.

addendum: I recall one business trip I took from Toronto to Montreal on #66 with a group of co-workers back in 1994 when Business Class was known as VIA-1. With two before dinner rum & coke's, two glasses of wine with dinner, and an after dinner liqueur, we were all set to hit the Crescent St bars upon our arrival.
 #1113148  by warwgn3

It also depends on the equipment you will ride on. If you get an LRC or Budd train, other than the extra leg room, free food and booze, it's not really worth it cause you're basically stuck in your seat.

If you end up with a Renn train, then YES it's totally worth it, because Business class passengers have access to the service/bar/lounge car, which allows you to have a reason get out of your seat and stretch if you're the type that can't sit still for extended periods (like me).
 #1113198  by marquisofmississauga

Most of the trains between Montreal and Quebec City use Renaissance equipment. As has been said, there is a lounge for Business Class passengers and I enjoy this amenity. But the seating in Renn. cars is the same whether in coach or Business. There are double seats on one side and singles on the other. There are two "four-seaters" and two "two facing singles" in each car except for the one that has been adapted for a huge "accessible" toilet and wheel-chair space. So on a short run, especially breakfast, I usually take coach. But for a lunch or dinner trip I would take Business because of the meal and drinks. There is also a pleasant Panorama Lounge in Montreal and Quebec (and many other cities too). There are so many discounts available in Business Class that I haven't paid full fare in many years. If your train is Renn. I recommend the facing singles 3S and 4S, whether in coach or Business. Although Business Class seats are always pre-assigned, coach seats are sometimes assigned on LRC trains but almost always on Renn. trains.
 #1113258  by warwgn3

I forgot to mention that you don't actually gain any more leg room in the Renn trains. The only difference is the color and type of fabric used on the seats. The Coach seats have a Blue velvety cloth material that in my opinion is more appealing and looks more comfortable than the Business class seats (which I've ridden on, and don't like) that look like they got the material from an old couch from the 1970's.
 #1113916  by Tadman

Interesting to hear about the differences between Amtrak and Via biz class. When I ride our corridor trains in the midwest, I don't bother because I usually ride 1 hour or so. It's not worth the $14 any way you look at it. That cost-benefit comparison further tilts to coach when you realize $14 is nothing for a longer trip's upgrade, so you have a bunch of screaming kids and mommies in sweatsuits in "biz class". More like "me class" or "minivan class". No thanks, I'll bring headphones and Tylenol PM and black out in a cheap seat.

I think biz class should mean free wifi, at-seat food, popular newspapers and magazines, possibly a minimum age and/or a dress code (biz casual - let's not be too stiff), etc... as well as a $50 upgrade. Now you've got real biz class and also real value presented for the upgrade cost. $14 buys you nothing.
 #1114585  by goodnightjohnwayne

warwgn3 wrote:I forgot to mention that you don't actually gain any more leg room in the Renn trains. The only difference is the color and type of fabric used on the seats. The Coach seats have a Blue velvety cloth material that in my opinion is more appealing and looks more comfortable than the Business class seats (which I've ridden on, and don't like) that look like they got the material from an old couch from the 1970's.
Yes I notice that there really isn't any difference in the accommodations. From what I've seen, the coach sells out first, and the higher priced business class sells out last.
 #1114639  by NS VIA FAN

goodnightjohnwayne wrote: Yes I notice that there really isn't any difference in the accommodations. From what I've seen, the coach sells out first, and the higher priced business class sells out last.
But what a difference between Coach and Business Class!

(And I prefer the Renaissance equipment for the ability to book a single seat plus the huge tray table....great for working on the laptop along with the wi-fi)

The Meal Service in VIA Business Class will go something like this:

-A snack basket will be passed around…..chips etc so just help yourself. Then the bar cart wall make a pass.....complimentary beer, wine, liquor.

-The Attendant will walk through with Menus and take your order. There are usually three choices but some items could be gone by the time they reach the back of the car. Sample Menus are here (click on your train number and date:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/useful-info/on ... o-montreal

-Then a Hot towel service to freshen up.

-The dinner trays are then distributed which have the appetizer along with a desert selection in the tray corner for later……this is from the "cold" cart. The attendant will also offer a red or white wine and a choice of bread.

-Appetizer plates are picked up then the main course is distributed from the "hot" cart.

-There'll be another pass or two offering to top up your wine glass and a choice from the bread basket again.

-VIA Business Class is noted for their Signature Chocolate Truffles and a tray will be passed around after the meal followed by the bar cart again offering an aperitif such as Grand Marnier or an Irish Cream.

Now just sit back and mellow-out for the remainder of the trip as you pass everthing over on the parallel 401 at nearly 100mph!
 #1114649  by warwgn3

NS VIA FAN wrote:But what a difference between Coach and Business Class!

(And I prefer the Renaissance equipment for the ability to book a single seat plus the huge tray table....great for working on the laptop along with the wi-fi)

The Meal Service in VIA Business Class will go something like this:

-A snack basket will be passed around…..chips etc so just help yourself. Then the bar cart wall make a pass.....complimentary beer, wine, liquor.

-The Attendant will walk through with Menus and take your order. There are usually three choices but some items could be gone by the time they reach the back of the car. Sample Menus are here (click on your train number and date:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/useful-info/on ... o-montreal

-Then a Hot towel service to freshen up.

-The dinner trays are then distributed which have the appetizer along with a desert selection in the tray corner for later……this is from the "cold" cart. The attendant will also offer a red or white wine and a choice of bread.

-Appetizer plates are picked up then the main course is distributed from the "hot" cart.

-There'll be another pass or two offering to top up your wine glass and a choice from the bread basket again.

-VIA Business Class is noted for their Signature Chocolate Truffles and a tray will be passed around after the meal followed by the bar cart again offering an aperitif such as Grand Marnier or an Irish Cream.

Now just sit back and mellow-out for the remainder of the trip as you pass everthing over on the parallel 401 at nearly 100mph!
These services are available on all train sets, be it Stainless Budd cars, LRC, or Renn. However Only Renn train business class passengers have access to the service/bar/lounge car (which is a big plus for me). Unfortuneately, LRC and Budd trains do not have this option, though it could be possible with the Budd trains *if* VIA had enough skyline dome cars to go around.

Also... Just be careful that the crew isn't too fast on their service... especially on the topping up of alcoholic beverages.... you might just end up feeling a little tipsy by the time you get to your destination. This happened to me once. 2 beers and 3 glasses of wine between Ottawa and Montreal. By the time my train arrived at Gare Centrale, I was feeling pretty good (hammered).
 #1115587  by jp1822

I preferred the Budd VIA 1 Business class cars better than the LRC business class seats for some reason. But I liked the Renaissance Business class better since the lounge was included (even though the lounge should be more of a "lounge" with lounge seating.
 #1115997  by NeoArashi

I finally decided to pay for an economy class ticket, so did my girlfriend. That extra 80$ will go on our next small trip... which is actually going to be almost right after our Québec > Montreal > Weymont > Shawinigan > Québec trip!!!!

We leave for montreal Montreal on either December 22nd or 23rd, to Weymon on december 24th, to shawinigan on december 27th and back to quebec city on december 28th... only to leave for Ottawa on december 30th!!! (I wish I could just go from Weymont straight to Montreal then to Ottawa for our trip, but I promissed my dad I'd see him on december 27th in Shawinigan... and I work on both december 28th and 29th XD