Railroad Forums 

• MOW track laborer position with UP

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#110700  by speccast68

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum but I have enjoyed reading all the information. It's great to get an insiders view of the railroad and how things really work.
My questions are about a MOW position (track laborer) that is open locally in Nampa, Idaho for UP. I was wanting some info on the type of pay a new hire can expect and if this position gererally lays off for the winter months?
I have a job now that would let me find employment pretty easily if I was laid off for 3-4 months in the winter. I was also wondering what the physical agility test was all about? I am not in really bad shape but not in great shape either and was wondering how this would affect my chances for this position? I enjoy working outdoors and I am looking for a change from my job now ( floor covering installer). I think a union job would be a great improvment from my current one as union jobs are hard to come by around here. Thanks for any light anyone can shed on these questions for me. Dan

#110704  by SRS125

I applied once for a job with the UP but never made it to the intevews due to personel things going on.

I do rember that the agility test was something that was done in a Gym they want to test your strangths, weaknesses, and health. A few people on this site that interviewed with them seaid that they have you lifting weaghts, doing push ups, chin ups, jumping jaxs, and so forth.

As for layoffs I don't know I would think it would depend on the region in which you were assigned. But that dose not mean anything i.e. if you were in a track gang of some sort you could end up anywhere with in the system.
 #110960  by Gnu

The position of track laborer starts at 90% of scale. 90% equals $15.57 ph plus lots of overtime. Scale is reached after one year. You can bid on skilled positions (after 60 days) that pay more but are still at 90% of that rate. There are only three agility tests. One is holding a bar connected to a chain that is connected to a scale that you stand on. You attempt a curl starting from the half curl poition. The bar will not move upward but it will meter you force. The second test is a flexibility test. You sit down with your legs in front of you. The bottoms of you feet are rested against a board then you bend forward to see how far you can stretch while pushing some sliding thing that gauges you with your fingertips. You get three tries at both of those tests. They either average the scores or choose the highest. The last test is a stationary bike set with a decent amount of resistance for a full minute as fast as possible to get the most amount of possible revolutions. If you do well on two of the tests it may carry you through a third if you have trouble. Interviews come immediately afterwards if you pass. An offer for a position will be posted at the end of the day to those who made it. Layoffs do happen, so I suggest getting a CDL so you can bid on a truck driving position which could keep you working when other recent hires are in the breadline. Good Luck, any more questions gimme a holler.

#111146  by speccast68

Thanks for the information guys. It has shed a lot of light on the subject for me. I think I will apply for the position. If anyone else has any more info I would love to hear about it.
Also, the position is listed as a regional position. How much time is spent away from home? It says its a 5 day work week. I am working 6-7 days a week with my current job and do work away from home occasionally, so its not a problem, just wondering if I was going to end up in Wyoming for 2 months at a time? I see that there are Track Laborer positions listed as system positions, so I would expect that means anywhere on the system for extended amounts of time. This is one reason I don't want to do train service or system wide travel, I do want to be home one or two days a week if possible. Again, thanks for all the information, Dan

#111316  by SRS125

You will most likley be on call 24 hours a day if you get a company truck. Most guys are depending on what it is that you are doing for the company.
I'm not sure how UP track gangs work but I know that companys like CSX and Conrail befor it was split up worked there track and tie gangs and there Steel gangs Monday-Thersday on 10 hour shifts giveing there crews Friday-Sunday to rest.

#111323  by Gnu

Says regional but you will be district. Old heads get the regional and system positions. You can bid on them after your 60 days are up but if you want to stay local, bid different skilled positions that are available locally. Like I said previously CDL positions are the best if you dont want to get bumbed or laid off. You should however bid on those traveling gangs to get a seniority date on that job if they are open.