Railroad Forums 

• Germany's Miniatur Wunderland train display

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1103623  by jmp883

I just saw the video of this layout and I agree, it is amazing. Unlike Northlandz here in northern NJ this isn't a caricature of what model railroading is supposed to be about. While there are bits of whimsy to be found the overall effect of M.W. is that you are looking at a scaled down real world. If you ever go to Northlandz you are just looking at trains rolling through so-so scenery. I really think the scenery and structures take a distant second place at Northlandz in order to run as many trains as possible.

While both layouts took a lot of work to build, run, and maintain it's a no-brainer in my opinion. M.W. is a great "ambassador" for the hobby of model railroading, Northlandz is just an overgrown, under-scenicked aberration. Drive a little farther west into Pennsylvania and visit Roadside America. While not on the same scale as M.W. it's definitely a step above Northlandz.
 #1104200  by maddoxdy

jmp883 wrote:While both layouts took a lot of work to build, run, and maintain it's a no-brainer in my opinion. M.W. is a great "ambassador" for the hobby of model railroading, Northlandz is just an overgrown, under-scenicked aberration. Drive a little farther west into Pennsylvania and visit Roadside America. While not on the same scale as M.W. it's definitely a step above Northlandz.
We used to stop at Roadside America on the way home from summer camp when I was in grade school in the '60s. It always facinated me. We stopped there with my kids when they were little about 15 years ago. It was still facinating, but it did look like it needed some maintenace and refurbishment. Haven't see it since then.

Doug Maddox
Perkasie