• What's the Deal with AEM-7 912?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jersey_Mike

My friend took this picture of #912 today looking somewhat out of place with a lack of roof electrical gear and painted over boards in place of both doors, numberboards and windows.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Fresh out of the paint shop?

I think the pic was taken near Wilmington.

by Irish Chieftain

Funny how they can stick a plate on the side for the numberboard but not do it for a larger "wave logo"...

by AEM7902

Yeah, what's the deal here. Anyone know if this was one of the AC-converted locos? The trucks don't look like original AEM7 trucks, and it's missing pantographs and some of the high voltage equip. Does anyone know which ones were the ones that burned up? There were several that caught fire.

by queenlnr8

Looks like it was just fresh out of the paint shop to me. Look at the gleam of the sun on that baby. :D

by AEM7AC920

AEM7902 wrote:Yeah, what's the deal here. Anyone know if this was one of the AC-converted locos? The trucks don't look like original AEM7 trucks, and it's missing pantographs and some of the high voltage equip. Does anyone know which ones were the ones that burned up? There were several that caught fire.
As for some of the one's that got burned we got 922 and 913 which was got sent to the scrapper. Maybe it was due for a rebuild or it was the one that just had the fire. As for AC converted it could just be a plain DC rebuild with new paint, as i herd amtrak did that because of lack of money. All the stuff missing on the roof is part of the rebuild program.

Shine Baby Shine! :D

by glennk419

Jersey_Mike, you are correct on the location. It is just north of Wilmington near the Dupont Edgemoor plant. The green roof behind the unit is a marina / park that is sandwiched between the tracks and the river. I would also speculate that it is just out of the paintshop and enroute to the shops in Bear to have the electrical gear reapplied.

by hsr_fan

According to http://www.geocities.com/subchen/aem7status.html #912 is a DC unit. And it was already in the gray "Acela" scheme before the repaint, so I wonder why it got repainted already.

Are those dents just behind the door, up near the roof?

by AEM7AC920

Does look like a few minor dents.

by queenlnr8

Why would this unit have been repainted and not have the dents repaired? I mean, when you have your car repainted, you get the little dents popped out as well, don't you? Makes no sense.

by AEM7AC920

Hey were only talking about AMTRAK