Railroad Forums 

• medical restrictions?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#107375  by Tiggerhappy1977

I am trying to find out some info on jobs that I may be able to do on the railroads over here, but my problem is I am medically restricted (according to UK medical tests) as I am Partially Colorblind (it is on red and green, however I can still see the colors).

While in the UK I was able to work as a ticket collector, the drivers had all responsibility for the train/safety, I also did train planning (not sure what you call it here), writing the timetables and doing the drivers work sheets/diagrams.

So my query is in PA, what jobs that you know of that I would be eligible to do? on any of the railroad companies.

Thank you for any help in advance

#107417  by Tiggerhappy1977

I can see red and green, up close as well as at a distance, however where you might see 20 shades of red, I would only see 17 or 18, the same with green, in the uk this meant I wasn't permitted to do anything safety critical, so anything to do with driving, working on track, signalling or dispatch of trains I couldn't do, I just wasn't sure if the medical restrictions are as strict/ the same as the UK, once I have an idea I can look for jobs that would be suitable to me.

I also considered contacting some of the companies and asking, but I don't know if that would go against me, or if they would even release that information

#107430  by CRail

I imagine you would be ok, maybe not engineer, but as conductor i dont see why you couldnt. as far as visibility, they are pretty leanient i believe.

I dont know about colorblindness but that sounds rather mild and i imagine you would be ok. Dont know for sure though. You could alwayse apply, worst thing could happen, you wouldnt get in.

#107578  by AmtrakFan

Conductor or Mangment I don't see why not you wouldn't be able to work it.

#107691  by freshmeat

For working for BNSF I think that his main problem is going to be passing the color eye test. Some of the shades are pretty close and hard to see.

My question would be: Do you have trouble seeing traffic signals at a distance? If no, then you should not have any trouble working for Class I's in the states.

#107693  by Tiggerhappy1977

I can see normal traffic lights with no problems, however in the UK when I went for the eye color tests it was the book witht he dots in it, and the numbers are in the dots, but I was unable to see any of the numbers. Do they have the same test here? I don't remember the name of the type of test/book

#107700  by freshmeat

Yeah they use the same book for BNSF at least. I don't know if there are any waivers available or not. That would have to be worked out with the carrier and his medical officer.

#107964  by PChap

I took the same test for CSX, and was told they were "pretty strict" about it. As to what that means, I didn't ask because I passed the test.

#107966  by jg greenwood

Tiggerhappy1977 wrote:I can see normal traffic lights with no problems, however in the UK when I went for the eye color tests it was the book witht he dots in it, and the numbers are in the dots, but I was unable to see any of the numbers. Do they have the same test here? I don't remember the name of the type of test/book
The test you speak of has been in use since, and possibly long before 1966. It seems to be the "standard" exam for color-blindness. IIRC, this is known as the Ishihara test.

#107971  by SteelWheels21

At UP you had to get a 100 percent on this test, no exceptions.

#107992  by Otto Vondrak

You'll have to check with the individual railroad company you are applying to- but if you're going to be in transportation service, your health/eyes have to be 100%. That includes engineers and conductors (conductors have to be able to read signals, too- passenger or freight service).

If you are in a non-transportation function- like the planning dept., the requirements are different.