Railroad Forums 

• UP - Asst. Signal Person

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#101393  by DORF

I am currently a six year veteran firefighter/emt i/d for a suburban fire department just oin the fringe of a major metro area and am seriously wanting to give it up to make a career change to the railroad and move back home to Minnesota .

UP has invited me to a hiring session to take a test and interview after I pass for this asst. signal person position.

WHat can you tell me about this opportunity??

WHat will the 4 hour test be all about ??

Does the UP like to hire firefighters? I have a class A cdl , does that help????

What can I expect for earnings if I sign on with the railroad? I am expecting to take a pay cut but curious as to how big a one??

#106028  by MJohn

Hello,

I posted a question on here several weeks ago looking for info on the UP Asst Signal Person job. I am interested in the position but really want to find out more about it before I go any further. Unfortunately, I fear the Asst Signal Person position is not as popular as MOW or Train Service... I did not get any detailed info as yet. Still hopeful though.

I apologise in that I cannot provide any insight on the position, but would ask that if and when you go for your test/interview, etc, post a synopsis of the experience for me and anyone else with interest. Stuff like that is REALLY helpful to us.

Thanks and BEST OF LUCK!! Keep us posted.

Regards,
MJohn