Railroad Forums 

• UP Service Unit Transfers

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#105665  by hooked up

Long story short. I live in S. Illinois with 30 yrs short-line experience. I applied last July for UP train service in Denver Service Unit, because I would like to move to Denver. My application was "regenerated" twice, then yesterday it became "not used - expired". No positions currently shown for Denver. Meanwhile, a position has opened in my backyard with the St. Louis Service Unit. If I could get it, I could get through training, etc. without moving right away or living out of a motel the whole time, which would be a plus. On the other hand, I wouldn't get to make the move I would like to make some day. So my question, if I can get on here in the St. Louis Service Unit, how likely would it be that I could transfer to Denver, lets say 5 years from now? I realize there is not system-wide seniority on the UP, and in any case I would not want to have to "bump" someone just to make my move. But supposing there was an opening in Denver several years down the road, would it be a big deal to make a transfer? Would I have to start over from zero seniority if I transferred to a different Service Unit? Basically, I have to decide whether to jump at this local opening, or hold out for the next Denver posting (whenever that may be), and try again there. I'm not getting any younger, and I feel like I just wasted 8 months without even getting invited to a hiring session. Thanks, UP contributors, I have learned a lot from you through this whole process. :wink:

#105677  by SteelWheels21

On UP, you have to "swap" with someone in order to transfer. You first have to find someone from where you are looking to go who also wants to go where you are presently located. You then swap your seniority dates. Every now and then you might see an ad posted in your locker room from someone from another Service Unit looking to come where you are. It's a difficult process from what I gather and multiple approvals must be given for it to happen. If you really have your heart set on a certain area my advice would be to wait it out.

#106012  by hooked up

Thanks SteelWheels for the quick reply! I was also beginning to wonder if my present lack of proximity to Denver was an issue in not being called, but you and slchub both recently answered that question before I could even ask it. If slchub could make the move from Atlanta to Salt Lake, I should be able to do this. Slchub, your description of your "going away party" made me LOL!! :-D