• What's with all the signal failures?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by n2cbo

vince wrote:Actually two words; Computer programmers.

You must remember that computers only do what they are told to do, how to operat the signal system and how to handle error conditions that may occur.

Wasn't there an 'incident' at Jamaica about a year or so ago when JAY was being changed over from the manually operated interlocking machine to computer control where a switch was thrown UNDER a moving passenger rail car? (with the expected result)
A PERSON would NEVER do that sort of thing, however a computer, programmed by an idiot programmer sure (and did) would
Especially if that programmer was "outsourced" from a third world asian country where safety rules like that don't exist...
  by Marge s

It's every day on every branch I dont think it has ever been this bad.What does it take for the "wench" to be shown the door? In the five years she has been here she has swelled the ranks of political patronage positions while reducing staff in Transportation.Track, Signal and other nuts and bolts departments. The millions being spent on the PIO are funds that would otherwise be used to keep the system in a state of good repair. The employees are disgusted at the way the place is being run and have adopted a why should I give a s>>t mantra.The other thing I don't understand is how she gets a free pass in the media. When the day comes that she is booted you will hear a collective cheer from the rank and file employees but I think the damage she has done will taka a long time to repair.
  by geico

This is getting utterly stupid now. Main line east of HIcksville was messed up from 230 to after 9 with signal issues first at Farmingdale and then later Brentwood and Central Islip. How bad is this signal system or are they not putting it back together right with the midday construction? Either way this is unacceptable using C cards to move trains and having then be up to 60 mins late.