Railroad Forums 

• CSX ( ex-PRR) St Louis Line Sub signals being replaced

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1044641  by kinekep

Hello everyone, and it looks like the CSX replacement of any historical signals rolls on, even out here in south western Illinois on the former PRR Southwestern Division mainline from Indianapolis to St. Louis, MO ( now called the St Louis Line Subdivision). The line through my area used to be double tracked until 1986 or so when Conrail turned the entire line into single track with passing sidings CTC. They replaced all of the old PRR position light signals with what I call the old NYC tri- light color signals. Now, CSX is replacing those tri-light signals with the dreaded ( and quite generic ) Safetran Darth Vader style signals. In fact, if Jersey Mike wants, I can send him some signal pics from this area for his blog! By the way, I think that the furthest west PRR position light signals are actually in collinsville, IL on this very line. Or maybe just a few miles west at HN Cabin where the A&S crosses the St Louis Line sub at grade. Anyways, it's sad to see even the old tri- lights leaving this former PRR, PC, Conrail trackage.

Paul
 #1044833  by roadster

We've been reporting on the same program in NYS forum as CSX is replacing all the NYC signals and signal bridges with the new "vaders". This is all part of the PTC project. (Positive Train Control) Required by Federal Law to be in place on all railroads by 2015. Uniformity of rules and signals system wide.
 #1048281  by Mike Doughney

CSX has been replacing color-position lights along the Capital Subdivision through Beltsville and Jessup, Maryland, also. Some of these signals were less than twenty years old, installed when the line was upgraded for MARC traffic in the mid-90's. (There's a data point in case anyone asks when the last B&O style color-position lights were installed.) In Beltsville, the signal box by the tracks now sprouts a spiffy new satellite dish, too.