• Double track to Ronkokoma to receive funding

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Amtrak7

They are working west. Phase 1 of the project is KO-CI.
  by workextra

If that's true about working West then I really need to read and learn more about why they would even do something so foolish. If anyone can post their reasoning Id' be interested in reading it. What's the benefits? Can someone here elaborate?
  by MattAmity90

workextra wrote:If that's true about working West then I really need to read and learn more about why they would even do something so foolish. If anyone can post their reasoning Id' be interested in reading it. What's the benefits? Can someone here elaborate?
I think the benefit would be that if they get the embankment finished for the second track from Ronkonkoma to Central Islip, the hardest phase of the project would be complete. Besides when they elevated the Babylon Branch, even though RVC, Baldwin, Freeport, and Massapequa had already been elevated, they did Babylon before the A-C-L stretch, the Seaford-Wantagh segment, the Bellmore-Merrick phase, and Massapequa Park because Babylon is the end of the line for electric trains. Just like Ronkonkoma, they want to get the termination point of the line double-tracked first so that in case of equipment failure E of CI, it won't clog the branch. I may be only 21 years old, but I can tell you a ton of times that trains broke down between Amott Interlocking in Syosset and W of Huntington between 1970 and the early 80's before they double-tracked that section in 1985.
  by artman

BM6569 wrote:http://www.cbs6albany.com/template/inew ... .com.shtml

"A project to install a second track between Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma will start at least two years ahead of schedule.

The state Legislature last month included $138 million for the "double track" plan that will add a second line along 12.6 miles of single track."

Also seen here: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/tran ... -1.3665455
$10,000,000 per mile? Wow.
  by LB

What did the entire Hicksville to Ronkonkoma Electrification cost as opposed to the $138M proposed for double tracking? I remember Power Director Jamacia mentioning it was crazy not to double track at that time, as well as electrify the Central Branch.
  by MACTRAXX

Amtrak7 wrote:They are working west. Phase 1 of the project is KO-CI.
A7: Interesting...It will be something to watch because I live nearby...
I agree that this is the toughest stretch to expand to double track...

MACTRAXX
  by tj48

The grade between Deer Park and Wyandanch is going to be interesting to watch.
  by railfan365

Having used the service to/from Ronkonkoma several times, I can say affirmatively that a double track going that far would turly benefit a lot of customers. First, KO is a rather busy station. Second, there is a major gap in the west bound service in the afternoon while East is the peak direction - but there arer still people like me who have to go west and are strictured by the schedule.
  by MattAmity90

It's also going to be interesting on what they do with Wyandanch. Some of that money is going to be used for a second platform, lighting, a pedestrian overpass, and modifying Straight Path's Grade Crossing. I think if they have to do that, they should eliminate the road that runs South of the ROW and turn that into a parking lot. As for the crossing, they should move back the signals, and turn the crossroad into a T intersection with the Parking Lot Entrance/Exit if you go straight.
  by Sir Ray

MattAmity90 wrote:It's also going to be interesting on what they do with Wyandanch. Some of that money is going to be used for a second platform, lighting, a pedestrian overpass, and modifying Straight Path's Grade Crossing. I think if they have to do that, they should eliminate the road that runs South of the ROW and turn that into a parking lot.
What? Long Island Avenue? That's a rather important road, they better not consider closing it. As you can see here, it looks like they might just be able to squeeze in the second track and a simple platform, considering ADA and minimum safety standards - the platform would back right onto the north (what will probably become a real sidewalk) of Long Island Avenue (may have to prohibit street parking on the North Side of Long Island Avenu.)
As for the crossing, they should move back the signals, and turn the crossroad into a T intersection with the Parking Lot Entrance/Exit if you go straight.
What, Acorn to Merrit Ave? What are you talking about? You can't be closing busy roads on a whim.
  by Amtrak7

The need of this project can't be greater. KO is the busiest station outside of NYC and KO Branch trains have the highest average passenger counts for both peak and off peak travel.

As an example, 2013 (the morning KO flyer) picks up an astonishing 1,100 passengers from only two stops.
  by LB

Are there any planned changes to the signaling system during the project, or will we continue with Position Lights when the second track is placed in service? Is the LIRR still able to purchase new Position Light signals or will they have to refurbish exisiting units to support the project if they need to add more?
  by Backshophoss

Not to long ago,LIRR redid the signals between Wantagh and Amityville with color lights,they might do the same thing
from Divide to KO,with everything changing,the signals will need to be redone anyway.