• Double track to Ronkokoma to receive funding

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BM6569

http://www.cbs6albany.com/template/inew ... .com.shtml

"A project to install a second track between Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma will start at least two years ahead of schedule.

The state Legislature last month included $138 million for the "double track" plan that will add a second line along 12.6 miles of single track."

Also seen here: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/tran ... -1.3665455
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Good to see that this project is getting funded and the most important part
of this project-the section between Republic and Deer Park-will probably be constructed first...

The most elaborate segment will be the line between Central Islip and Ronkonkoma which
will require embankments and/or retaining walls to be built in spots because of its grading...

I recall that back in the 80s during the Hicksville-Ronkonkoma Electrification the planners
did not have enough funding to allow full double track construction and another option was
to retain Diesel service and add both tracks...As we all know the LIRR electrified the line
and it has been a victim of its own success noting how ridership grew on this line from 1988
to the present day...The service on this line should improve with the added track capacity...

MACTRAXX
  by LB

This was a long time coming. They double tracked to Sayville back in 1917; Syosset (Amott) to Huntington in the early 1980's. Is it wide enough under Vet's Hwy (NY 454) to fit another track? So new track will run from FARM 2 (former PW location just west of New Highway) to KO 2?
  by Teutobergerwald

This should make NYA's operations easier, no ???
  by workextra

I'm glad to here they finally got some more funding for a project that is many years behind.
Understanding the layout of the Main Line. It would be best to start West and work East.
They must rectify the zigzag at Farm where the double track currently becomes single track. This must be done by a re alignment and the current single main track should become Main Line No1 The current Main Line No 2 at Farmingdale would be continued East through to "JS" at the Western most end of Deer Park
The PW Long Siding would not be affected providing it's not converted to a controlled siding. (They could also choose to replace the bridge over Route110 and tie the PW Long Siding in west of Route 110, though adding cost it would have added benefits for both passenger and freight operations).

I seriously hope they consider this in addition to making the platform of the new station at "Republic" a bridge over Route 110 to provide protection for anyone using the station to not have to negotiate route 110 at grade. This should cover the added length to make it 10 or 12 cars.

Wyandanch DEF- Would this track remain protected by electric locks or will it be a controlled siding and interlocked off Main Line 1, Would This add flexibility and capacity to lay up MU's if it were electrified?

The Old DK siding would be come Main Line 2 and the run around to the south of it could be similar to that of the Wyandanch DEF or removed if not used for freight. And the new No 2 track would be extended at grade through to "JS" connecting to the existing Main Line 2 at Deer Park. This alone would streamline the effort putting the added capacity on the West where it is needed most.

Again, However they go about it, I'm happy they can finally start planning work on a project that was way over due.
  by kmart

this coulda..shouda..been done during the electrafication back in the 80's..will be interesting to see how the company will piss away millions on this project..
  by my2cents

Think the money would be better spent making a 3rd Main Line between Queens and Divide before starting the double traking the Ronkonkoma Branch. Would account for much more flexability benefiting the Oyster Bay, Huntington/Port Jefferson and Ronkonkoma Branches along with possible reverse commuting. Although alot more money would need to be appropriated for the Queens to Divide 3rd track,the benefits to the plant would be much more significant. Do the 2nd Main Line project after the 3rd Main Line project. More throughput...

Just my take on the situation.
  by workextra

The double tracking is many years over due and should have been done during the original electrification project.
This was a perfect example of the "If you build it, They will come" philosophy. In this case. they only build half, and they came anyhow expecting the other half to be built. It's only right they get the double track in.
  by my2cents

A promise is a promise I guess but sometimes you have to reevaluate. 3rd Main Line between Queens and Hicksville will benefit more customers then double tracking Farm to JS. Especially with ESA.
  by Jersey_Mike

I hope they don't cut down those trees along the Pine Lawn cemetery. That's a really pretty stretch of the line.
  by workextra

There is really no reason to cut down the trees North of the main at Pinelawn. The only thing they will probably be stuck doing is adding that ugly hideous fence along Long Island Avenue. The Mainline will come very close to the road at that location.
At Farm interlocking there will be a shift in the ROW similar to that between Amityville and Massapequa Park. and the new Mainline No2 would continue East from where it ends at Republic to Deer Park. Running South of the existing Single Main track.
There really is no reason to touch the trees at Pinelawn. They may have to relocate Pinelawn station to the West side of Wellwood Ave. which is where it was at one time because there's more room for a platform on both sides. I seriously don't think its worth grade crossing elimination though it is possible at many location, That would render the project too costly.

As for the 3rd track main. It should be one immediately after the double tracking is complete. Yes it would probably benefit more people overall, But it's also much more expensive and complicated then double tracking Farmingdale-Ronkonkoma.
Triple tracking "Floral Park" (Queens) to Hicksville would be simplest, but it would actually be a nightmare for New Hyde Park because that community warrants a grade separation due to New Hyde Park Road. This is further complicated by the amount of land either North of South of the main the railroad would have to borrow for a shoe fly track while elimination takes place.
Also Plans at one time called for all crossings to be eliminated between Floral Park and Hicksville, except Willis Avenue and possibly Main street in Mineola.
Over all this would open up capacity and provide more flexibility but It's a much more involved project, I told the railroad already acquired much of the land needed for the double track during the electrification during the 1980s.
  by my2cents

You won't have to worry about the trees being removed at Pinelawn Station,they're on cemetery property.

The money for the double tracking on the KO branch appropriates funds to re-open the old Republic Station; if I read it correctly, which is fantastic since it's on a main corridor (Route 110). Space is available for parking and bus connections should be good too. I just don't know which station will survive if the Republic Station is developed. Will they close Pinelawn or Farmingdale.

Gosh, completion in 2019. How long did it take to build the Empire State Bldg.?

And remember, ESA was supposed to have been completed by 2012.
  by RRJS3

Pinelawn would likely close if Republic was reopened. Aside from not having room for a platform at that location on the south side of what would be mainline 2, the Town of Babylon has plans to reconfigure Conklin Street at some point in the future so that it meets LI Ave at the existing intersection of LI Ave and Wellwood. So, even moving the station to the west side of the crossing might be problematic.
  by LB

I'm still wondering if there's enough space under the Vet's Highway (NY 454) bridge just east of Central Islip to fit a second track, or will that bridge need modification / reconstruction? Seems the other grade separated locations (Route 110, Deer Park Ave, Sagtikos Pkwy) already accomodate two tracks.
  by R36 Combine Coach

my2cents wrote:Gosh, completion in 2019. How long did it take to build the Empire State Bldg.?

And remember, ESA was supposed to have been completed by 2012.
Then it was changed to 2016.. The ESB on the other hand took only one year (construction began early 1930 and dedication in May 1931).

Even the Penn Station and the East River tunnels took only four years- 1905-09 (superstructure complete by January 1910), which all occured during a single term of Theodore Roosevelt. Nowadays, how many major projects are completed in one term or Administration?