Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Interview invite

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1000265  by WlLL

I have one concern that might hurt my chances of employment with BNSF

I am prior military but I have a "deficiency" with colorblindness.

Now, I understand that being colorblind could (and should) preclude me from working a freight train.

However, I can see colors just fine (reds, greens, blues, yellows, white)...what I have trouble with is seeing numbers/shapes in the dotted cards. By other tests, my color vision tests normal.

Is there a second (or field) test that can be conducted to verify that I can indeed differentiate colors? I am looking forward to this and would hate for something that I have no control over from disqualifying me.
 #1010321  by jz441

What position are you interviewing for? You cant be a conductor or engineer without completing the color test. There is no field test for new hires. I know someone who was hired as a conductor and shortly discovered that he was partially color blind... Company offered him a position in mechanical department servicing locomotives.
 #1010723  by deedee

"However, I can see colors just fine (reds, greens, blues, yellows, white)...what I have trouble with is seeing numbers/shapes in the dotted cards. By other tests, my color vision tests normal." -WILL

When i went for my physical test for the conductor position,that's exactly what they do, they hold up the dotted cards with numbers inside and you have to see the numbers and call them out