• Motive Power update

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by thebigham

kingfish posted the following here:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 7&start=15

The 70s are worn out. All have a RFQ out to be remanufactured. Mgt. needs to evaluate that cost versus other options.

3634/3618 parked needing new wheels. 3634 has been a great runner. 3618 has been plagued with power assembly failure since out of warranty. Both are parked at this point due to the above and more importantly 20% higher fuel consumption than the 16 cylinders.

3010 parked due to water pump failure that has failed over half of the PA's. Not worth repacking the unit at this point.

BTW, most of the AMP units are at or near the half way mark for mileage/hours/duty cycle. 3012-3014-3016-3018-3022 are great runners.

The CIT units are merely bridge power to ensure customer service while Mgt. evaulates a long term plan for NYSW.

That could mean reman. SD70s, new power (as in brand new), mother/daughter sets or long term lease power.
  by ANDY117

What's wrong with the 3020 and 3042?
  by Steve F45

King, print this pic out and tape it all over the main offices. LOL
  by lvrr325

Heard a rumor the GP20s were being cut up. Given the price of scrap I wouldn't be in the least surprised, they're probably worth more in pieces.
  by nysw3636

scottychaos wrote:Roster page updated:
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scotty ... index.html
As always, comments and corrections are welcome..
thanks,
Scot
Great list !!! But other than NYSW 3638(F45), which is now MRL 390 and is stored... The 7 former NYSW SD-45 units that went to Montana Rail Link left MRL years ago. Most, if not all, have been scrapped.
  by scottychaos

nysw3636 wrote:
scottychaos wrote:Roster page updated:
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scotty ... index.html
As always, comments and corrections are welcome..
thanks,
Scot
Great list !!! But other than NYSW 3638(F45), which is now MRL 390 and is stored... The 7 former NYSW SD-45 units that went to Montana Rail Link left MRL years ago. Most, if not all, have been scrapped.
thanks! yeah, im sure most of the MRL ex-NYSW SD45's are likely now scrapped..
but unfortunately I have had a hard time confirming it for sure..
I dont want to indicate a unit is scrapped based only on "I heard that unit was scrapped" or other internet rumors..
I try to rely on photos..or I sometimes get emails from someone who personally witnessed a particular locomotive being cut up,
(another one is coming soon for another LV locomotive im afraid..one is being watched..scrapping imminent)
so unless I get something like that, that I consider reliable, I dont change the status..

thanks,
Scot
  by scottychaos

Another example..SD45 3614 in Dansville..
I drive by Dansville several times a year on I390..
for years as I drove by I could look down into the back lot of AMP and catch a glimpse of 3614 sitting sadly in the sun,
being slowly stripped of parts..
One day I looked, and she was gone..
its 99% likely she is now scrapped..but I dont know for sure! ;)
its *remotely* possible she could still be there, or perhaps even rebuilt, repainted and sent back out!
I give that 1% odds..compared to the 99% odds of being scrapped..but still, no one knows for sure yet..

Im tempted to stop in at the office sometime and just ask..but I dont want to be the "pesky railfan"..

Scot
  by Sid Farkus

Scott, on former NYSW 120, I believe it is now AMP 2008. This photo appears to be the engine in its present state and looks like they added side handrails.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2574405
  by scottychaos

Sid Farkus wrote:Scott, on former NYSW 120, I believe it is now AMP 2008. This photo appears to be the engine in its present state and looks like they added side handrails.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2574405
thanks! yep, that sure looks like 120..
I like the new full handrails..
I will update the roster to indicate she has been renumbured and repainted..
also rebuilt perhaps? I wonder where Mike got the SW1200 designation..

Scot
  by Steve F45

Scott, did you ever get my PM about those NYSW steam engine photo's?
  by scottychaos

Steve F45 wrote:Scott, did you ever get my PM about those NYSW steam engine photo's?
Steve,
yes I did! thanks..
sorry I didnt write back! but I realise now what happened..
you didnt send a link to the auction, so I went in search of the photo..
poked around ebay for awhile, didnt find it, then I must have got distracted
and forgot I was supposed to write back to you! ;)
sorry about that..

Scot
  by Steve F45

i thought i had sent the link, whoops.. Yea there was a whole bunch of steam engines on there that you didn't have any info for. And a few GE' dash 8's too.
  by thebigham

Great job, Scot. Thanks.
  by sportsguy

Well there was a post on the NYSW Yahoo group saying that the Gp20s, SD40 #3020, and F45 #3636 were being scrapped in 2012. I have also heard from multiple places that the SD70ms were being rebuilt. Can anyone shed dome light on this situation?