Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#126526  by braves

Well, since the 4 car set of 340 cars will be assigned to the J,M & Z lines, are the remaining 5 car set of 320 cars going to the F line & what will be the car assignment if the F train does receive the R160 cars.

#127275  by PacificCommand

There will be 3 groups of R160s.
Kawasaki 5 car sets, which will be out of Coney Island, Probably for the N and Q
Alstom 5 car sets, which will be based out of Jamaica, for the G, and will be eventually be transferred to CIYD, along with the care of the G
Alstom 4 car sets, which will be assigned to ENY, for the J M and L

R32s will remain where they are(CI assigned cars likely to be transferred to Pitkin)
R38s to remain in 207
150 R40Slants to remain at CIYD, balance scrapped
All R40M will remain at CIYD
MK R42s will be reassigned from ENY to CIYD
CI R42s will be scrapped
All R44s will be scrapped
All R46s will remain at Jamaica
Some R68s will be transferred from CIYD to Concourse,and 207 or Pitkin
All R68As to be transferred to Pitkin from CIYD
All R143s will remain at ENY

#127604  by arrow

I like the R44s, I don't see the problems with them.

#129608  by Majinvegeta

NOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT THE R44! :( Im so sad that the R44 is going to be scrapped. I lived with that subway car for 5 years now. It runs along the A line at Lefferts Blvd

#138207  by Silverliner II

Funny that they should have the R44's on the scrap list. This past Thursday, a friend of mine and I came up to NY to ride and film on some subways. He absolutely HATES the R44's. So this will be welcome news to him indeed!

#138243  by arrow

I still do not know the reason why they would be getting rid of the R44s if that list is accurate.

At a time when fares are constantly increasing and the MTA is strapped so badly for money, wouldn't it make sense to keep the current fleet the way it is considering there are no major problems with any of the cars? I just don't see the need for the R160s...apparently they do not need additional cars if they are looking to scrap older cars when the newer ones arrive.

#138276  by Robert Paniagua

Funny that they should have the R44's on the scrap list. This past Thursday, a friend of mine and I came up to NY to ride and film on some subways. He absolutely HATES the R44's. So this will be welcome news to him indeed!

Well the R44's you actually can't see through sometimes (you can in some, although the cab access door's window is sometimes occupied by newspaper scrap paper or something other than it being a fuzzy view (which I don't mind) although I said earlier that some R44 coaches should remain on the road (or maybe reconbditioned for SIRT use).