• Planning trip from Smithtown to Penn this weekend

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by JesP130

Hey all, my cousin and I plan to take the train from Smithtown or Kings Park to Penn Station this weekend. I see the train we are taking requires a transfer at Huntington. Is a transfer at Huntington like a transfer at Jamaica where you just walk across the platform? By the MTA pictures of the station it appears that there is only one track at Huntington. Does this mean when the Diesel pulls away an electric train pulls in to take Port Jeff branch customers to Penn?? Thank you!!

by JoeLIRR

The Station is 2 tracks but some times uses only one.

If worse comes to worse ull have to use the pedestrian x - over to go from one plat to the other, I dout ull have to do this.

any one more familia with the Huntingotn stop that can give better info?

by emfinite

Your connection that continues onto Penn Station will be in front of the diesel train that you take and if it's not, the diesel train will pull out and your connection will pull into the station for you to board. One of those two things will happen. Good luck with the trip!

Joe

by M1 9147

As per emfinites, and JoeLIRR's statement, the PJ trains that terminate at Huntington usually drops off passengers, then pulls away with the electric coming off the extension track behind, and follows the diesel into the station. About 95% of the time that usually happens, so staying at the same spot that you get off the diesel usually will be the thing to do unless stated by the conductor otherwise. Not all trains terminate at Huntington on weekends. About 45% of them go to Hicksville too. If you leave from KP at for instance 3:08, then you change at Huntington, and if you leave at 4:39, you go to Hicksville for change. Check the timetables at www.mta.info, then click LIRR, then go to schedules for more information.

by JesP130

Thanks for all the responses. It seems that every other train is Huntington with the others being a Hicksville transfer. I also kind of figured that the conductor and station announcements would say where to get the connecting train. Another thing, I just looked at the timetable and next to the arrive and leave times for Huntington "A" is next to each of them so obviously you just get off and the next train allows you to board... thanks again for all the responses!