• Pictures from Oyster Bay 1965

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by scopelliti

OK, at least I think it is Oyster Bay. A friend and I rode our bikes on a railfan trip form Hempstead. All these are scanned from some photos I just found (dated April 1965). Apologies for any quality issues.

Turntable

The turntable deck

Alco C420 on turntable

Longer shot of Alco C420 on turntable

Alco C420 coupling up

What station is this?

Enjoy,

Pat

by Lirr168

Looks like it could be Mill Neck.

by RPM2Night

I would have to agree with it being Mill Neck

by Long Island 7285

Mill neck forshure..

I think we need to get a little restoration project and add the signs back to to :-D

by CHANGEATJAMAICA

It's not only Mill Neck Station, its the Mill Neck Police Station. A little further west at Locust Valley Station the local constabulary utilize an old LIRR signal box.

by Dave Keller

Your turntable shtos are indeed Oyster Bay.

The depot in question was the station stop for Mill Neck, however the agency was closed in 1958 and the station stop discontinued in 1998. It has been reported to me that the structure is now used as the village hall and post office.

Change at Jamaica: If that has changed and it is the police station, (and you're sure of your facts and it's not hearsay) please advise so I can update my records.

Also, what year did it discontinue being the village hall/post office and become the police station? My data is as of 2003.

Dave

by robertwa

Yes, Mill Neck. Here's a more recent picture

by batfloat

THe police office was there when I hired on in the mid 60's as well as village hall and the post office on the east end. I was told that the building was originally built by the Dodge brothers,Dodge automobiles,
so they had a place to wait for the train. I believe their estate was the present Mill Neck Manor,school for the deaf.
How about it Dave know anything more?

by Dave Keller

Your time period would make sense as the agency closed in 1958.

So it was BOTH a village hall AND police station.

The post office structure was a later addition. When it was added, I have no idea.

I have no other data other than the depot was opened in 1912, replacing an older structure which burned on 4/3/1911.

Dave