Railroad Forums 

• PHP?? load recived by Meat Packing and Distribution

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1628972  by ExCon90

Any date or period indicated? If it was prior to the adoption of the 7-digit (2-3-2) Standard Transportation Commodity Code (STCC, pron. "stick code"), I think sometime around the 1980's, it might stand for Packing House Products. Before that, local freight agents and clerks made up any abbreviation that suited them when typing a waybill, making it impossible to computerize commodity information from waybills. Thus an industry-wide creation and adoption of the STCC code.

From my days as a trace clerk I can recall waybills for CUKES (cucumbers) and PTG PAP (printing paper)--picture searching on that.
 #1628976  by nyandw

EXCon90. Great! I have also been told Post Harvest Processing... Here's the LIRR industry list extract. Full file list to follow shortly.
G&R Packing Bay Ridge R PHP (Post Harvest Processing)
H&M Packing Bushwick Branch R PHP (Post Harvest Processing)
Armour & Co Flatbush Ave R PHP (Post Harvest Processing)
Swift Beef Flatbush Ave R PHP (Post Harvest Processing)
Swift & Co. Mineola R PHP (Post Harvest Processing)
Wilson & Co. Mineola R PHP (Post Harvest Processing)
Greenport Dog Food Laurel Hill R PHP (Post Harvest Processing), grain mill prod

In the specific case of Wilson they received from the main plant in NJ, via insulated box cars, meat for distribution. Anyone with further details?? I'll post the full LIRR industry/commodity list shortly.
Wilson Co. plug door insulated boxcar #5133 - Wilson & Co., Mineola 1965 Archive: Dave Keller