Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by robertwa

I recently wrote to the LIRR, using the Contact Us link on their website, asking if there was any official LIRR policy on photography, similar to what the NYC Subway system has (where you can photograph, but can't use flash or tripod). I have been stopped a few times recently when I was taking pictures of LIRR trains and stations and I wanted to know what the "Official" position was.

Here is their short reply:

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Photography of LIRR Stations, trains, etc.

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response - 02/23/2006 12:01 PM
Thank you for your e-mail. The LIRR requires that you contact the Public Affairs Department so proper notification can be given before you photograph on LIRR property. We appreciate your cooperation.

I think they are overstepping their bounds to make you notify them in advance(but I'm not about to go and start a federal first-amendment case about it).

Any opinions?

by Long Island 7285

Very interesting,

Now if one were to call them and say " im a Buff and i will be shooting at various locations between xxhrs & yyhrs dont call the cops.

I guess that wount be that easy? i bet there will be an extange of ID info or something to that effect? and a series of nonsence questions as to why you want to go and shoot? i dont mind calling them first. but if i have to kill time and call them. i shure as hell better be aloud to use lights, tripods, sholder mount cameras, and what ever i want that wount hinder safety and or effect the flow of traffic.

and with all technicality it could be a first amendment case, but in a anit rights, "scard to death" world today, that will be a challange.

the "Good" thing however is they said "photography "IS" legal"

by AmtrakPhill629

I dont understand why it is such a big deal to take pictures of a LIRR train. I go to Penn Station all the time to take pictures of the Amtrak trains and there's no problem. I even got to get inside one of the AEM7's and take pictures at one time. but as Soon as i go to Jamiaca and take a picture of 1 train i get stoped by the cops. The cops said that there was nothing wrong with taking pictures of the train just that some people get scared. He also said to take a picture and move to a different location dont stay in 1 spot.

by Otto Vondrak

There are currently no restrictions on photography on MTA lines, including subway, Metro-North, and LIRR.

The only caveats: You cannot make a nuisance of yourself, you cannot block pedestrian traffic, you cannot use a tripod.

-otto-

by robertwa

I just spoke with someone in the LIRR Public Affairs Department and he said the the LIRR wants to know - in advance - where, when and for how long I would be intending to take pictures. I said how about later today in Jamaica on my way home from work, and he said no - not during rush hour.

by emfinite

Otto,

One big question for you then. If there are no restrictions and we're not in the way, why do we all get stopped, ID'ed and questioned? What single piece of paper can we show to police to prove your theory? I'd like to know that much. Everybody saying "there are no restrictions" doesn't seem to coincide with what the police say.

Joe

by badneighbor

Suffolk Sheriff stopped me at Yaphank, watching NYA this morning... never heard of a 'railfan' before. scary... left me alone after that.

by robertwa

I already started writing a letter that will go someting like this - if there is an official rule against, or limiting, photography, then where can I read it? If there isn't such a rule, then why and under what authority can the LIRR ask for advance notice when, where and for how long I intend to take pictures, and why do I get stopped from photographing by railroad personnel?

If anyone wants to suggest any wording, please email me at [email protected]

Bob Andersen
www.lirrhistory.com

by alcoAL

I was at the West Babylon Yard last week to take a couple of pix of C51 there. When I pulled in I saw a worker so I asked him if it was alright to take some photos & he said OK. We talked a while about the yard & rail preservation. He then went into the office trailer, came out a minute later & asked for my name & took down my license plate number. I guess if someone set off a car bomb to blow up the hack I would be a suspect?

On the one hand, we should play by their rules, but on the other, if we're needlessly hassled about a non-existent law, then that's not good. I'd guess if you don't know their policy & got stopped, there wouldn't be a big deal made unless you were a wise guy.

by robertwa

I agree that we should play by their rules. But we have to know what those rules are , first.

by RPM2Night

I just hope that no one on the railfan side of things harasses the railroad. I love taking photos of trains, I love riding them and I love watching them, and I also really enjoy knowing their history and seeing where the future leads....but lets not forget that the world today isn't the safe place it used to be. You and I all know it that we're not terrorists in here....but to the railroad and the general public, we're just strangers lurking around with cameras. If a cop stops you, don't give him a hard time. Just tell him in short that you're a rail fan and that you're taking pictures for recreational purposes, or so that you can use the pictures to assist you in making your models better....that's it. If people harass the railroad or cops, then they'll get more defensive with us and most likely limit our options even more. Just go about taking photos and or just watching quietly and respectfully.

by 9C1LT1

Hey Guys,

I have to agree with Emfinite, what single piece of paper can I show the cops so that they realize that I am simply a railfan practicing my hobby? It has gotten bad… Just in the last month I had the engineer of an LI Alcohol train tell myself and another railfan that it is a federal crime to take photos of trains. We were on the platform at the time… I realized that it wasn’t worth arguing and simply said ok and proceeded to leave. But after that encounter I must ask, are crews instructed that photography is illegal in any way?

Barry

by M1 9147

Regardless, I'm still taking photos of trains unless it says in writing that you can't take photos.

by RedSoxSuck

Long Island 7285 wrote:Very interesting,

and with all technicality it could be a first amendment case, but in a anit rights, "scard to death" world today, that will be a challange.

the "Good" thing however is they said "photography "IS" legal"
I don't mean to be argumentative, but my understanding of the law (as explained by my father who is a lawyer, but not a first amendment lawyer, so I hereby state that this could be wrong) is that the first amendment allows you to distribute or publish any information you want (verbally, in print, etc), however it does not have any bearing on a person's right to collect the information. AFAIK, the LIRR (and NYCT, MNR, NJT, etc. for that matter) has every right to restrict or prohibit any photography they want on their property. Also, I believe that they cannot stop a person from taking photographs of their property from public areas where photography is otherwise permitted (such as an adjacent street, park, etc.) or fom private property, provided that he/she has the right to be there is the first place.

by robertwa

RedSox: Maybe they can - that's what I'm trying to find out. But the point is that right now there is no such prohibition of photography on the books. How can they enforce a rule that doesn't exist?

There was a report on NY1 yesterday on the crackdown on Subway photogragphy. They mentioned that photography is perfectly legal on the subway and all commuter lines. Here's the link http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.js ... &aid=57343