Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by F40

What is the official photo policy of the LIRR? I think it would be the same as MTA's, then if someone can summarize it, it would be greatly appreciated.

by M1 9147

As far as I know, there is no such photo ban on any MTA ground. There however is points, that you have to be careful in such as Mineola (Nassau Tower operators call you in), Jamaica a busy spot also to be careful in. The point being that engineers, conductors, block operators, etc. can call you in for suspicious activity. Otherwise as long as you are in the guidelines of just taking photos, you are ok.

by Long Island 7285

Whats the LAWS prohibiting taking non conseald cameras on bord trains.

that means traveling light with you camera around your neck, do railroad employees have the right to harass you and tell you to get off the train or they can call the cops?

i was nice to one Cndr just telling him what the law was and that if he keep over doing his job that he would have to prove to me that he has the legal right to threaten my right to carry cameras in court.

Next time such harassment takes place im going to say 1 time only, "i am not using this camera on this train and its just vissible witch is not a crimminal offence nor a suspisous offence, any one can and has the right to carry non consealed cameras.

if they try to threaten me futher and not just walk away i will simply snap a photo of him or her, then mail it to pataki, JJD, clinton, schumer, and hell why not even bush. and say that this cndr harassed me while iam a paying costomer, and that he has not legal right to tell me A) what car i can ride in with a vissible camera
B) that i have to have it in a bag or somthing.

simply put, in the end 7285 will be getting FREE rides because the LIRR will be paying out the ass with taxpayes money for public insult to paying costomers.

and im not talking out my rear end, im dead serious, im not playing games. i dont care if were living in post or pre 9-11 america, as long as ther is NO LAW i dont have to surrender my right to travel light with a non consealed camera.

by Clemuel

Neil is right.

There is no official policy any more, but there are a bunch of laws on the books that you can be hastled over that quite clearly prohibit it.

If you're cool and comply with any officer or employee's requests -- at least until they're gone -- you'll never have any problem.

Don't beat you chest and act like a railfan. Otherwise, know how to spell. You'll be doing lots of statement writing handcuffed to the bench in the police room.

Clem

by Richard Glueck

So I simply won't wear a burnoose while railfanning on Long Island.

by AMoreira81

Just don't trespass into what should be secure areas, and you should be okay!

by Otto Vondrak

7285- you have some odd ideas of how the world works.

If you think someone's not giving you the right info, wait until you're back home and then write your complaint letters. Talking back to train crews, employees, or police is not a wise move, and only hurts the rest of us. As a railfan, you represent the ENTIRE community with your actions and words.

And I'll be damned if I get thrown out of Jamaica because of something dumb YOU (or anyone else) said to a crew member somewhere.

-otto-

by njtmnrrbuff

The 9-11 day and age will always stay with us. Yes, we know that there is
no real law for taking pictures of trains. Sometimes the crews, employees, or police are unaware of the policy. It is just an accident so we all have to be patient. Getting smart with ANYONE is not going to do you any good, especially with MTA's Big Brother squad. Disorderly conduct is a crime and it stays with you forever. Certain places, people are more tolerable than other places.

by Long Island 7285

letters have gone unanswered before and are not always the answer. if you provide evidance of exatly whome was harasing you then some action may be taken.

do you really think that i want to take a photo of the cndr and mail it in? thats would only be in the extreme of cases if the indivisual is really not letting up and going off the deep end will i do that, i do not want the cndr to catch hell for just respectuflly asking if i would not take photos on his or her train.

but going on and on just because a camera is vissible? i think that was just disrespect and miss conduct on that cndr's part. I have had plenty of guys ask me not to take photos nicely and i complied, and even struk up a friendly conversation with them.

the ones im going after are the ones that dick me around and have total disrespect because they see me carrying a dam camera.

camera does not = a criminal divice.

i wonder how many teens whom ride trains to long beach or NYC and take pictures of each othere on bord get harasses and dicked around by overzellous employees or fellow passengers.

thre is ABSOLUTLY NO (0) laws that can be impossed or inacted that can 100% prevent a terrorist from bombing a trains no matter where at in the world, or any other mode of transportation for that matter.

why can we just enjoy life as it is.

by NIMBYkiller

Otto, say what you want, but I will NOT back down when some one threatens my enjoyment of my hobby. They have no right to be telling me something is illegal or even prohibited when I KNOW that it is not. It's not about getting smart or talking back, it's about standing up for myself.

by LIRRNOVA55

i agree with 7285 and NIMBY, some cops of conductors think there the president and what they says goes even if it aint true and it aint right. as Nimby said, they aint threatining the enjoyment of our hobby trying to make it worse for us so they can act mocho.

by Long Island 7285

Thank you NIMBY and NOVA55

atleast my political views are listened to by some.

by Nasadowsk

Even the police can't make up the laws. They can go arrest you, but if you've violated no law, then there's nothing that can be done (actually, the cop's more likely to be in trouble if he's making things up as he goes)

Remember, you can't simply be aressted and charged with violating a photo ban that doesn't exist. You have to be charged with violating a specific law - and it has to be one that exists. The cops can't just pick you up, charge you with violating a nonexisting photo ban, and expect much (beyond a judge laughing it out of court, or worse)

Be polite, stay in legal areas, and just do what you're told. and remember, for the most part, the general public's on our side...

by RailBus63

Be careful, though - police officers don't need a photo ban to question you. A law enforcement officer may consider you to be loitering - one definition of loitering in the New York penal code is "Loiters or remains in any transportation facility, or is found sleeping therein, and is unable to give a satisfactory explanation of his presence." In these security-conscious times, I'm sure there are officers who may not consider taking pictures for a hobby as a 'satisfactory' explanation.

In any event, railfans should always calmly explain what they are doing. My experience has been that most officers are reasonable and are just doing their job. If you are asked to leave, don't make a scene and risk arrest, but leave and follow-up afterwards with the railroad or police agency.

Jim D.

by Robert Paniagua

Be careful, though - police officers don't need a photo ban to question you. A law enforcement officer may consider you to be loitering - one definition of loitering in the New York penal code is "Loiters or remains in any transportation facility, or is found sleeping therein, and is unable to give a satisfactory explanation of his presence." In these security-conscious times, I'm sure there are officers who may not consider taking pictures for a hobby as a 'satisfactory' explanation.

In any event, railfans should always calmly explain what they are doing. My experience has been that most officers are reasonable and are just doing their job. If you are asked to leave, don't make a scene and risk arrest, but leave and follow-up afterwards with the railroad or police agency.

Jim D.

Same here in the Boston Area, in MBTA property, they can still "pull you over" for doing photos, same law also applies in the Comm. of Mass. even if you're doing it from a public road.

That's why I'm quick when taping or taking video of LIRR, MNRR and NYCTA property.