• Phone service in East River Tubes

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by howardr142

I seen some people talk on their phones while our train was in the east river tubes. How does cell service work down there, since everything is under water, dirt and cement. Anyone try using their phones down there? Hows the reception?

by davelirrider

Verizon wired the tunnels for service back in the early 00's. As far as I know, Verizon is the only service which will work in the east river tunnels.

by DutchRailnut

The tunnel has what they call a leaky antenna. Its a cable which picks up the signal thru tunnel same as in park avenue tunnel to GCT.
It should work with a few carriers including Verizon and Cingular and Nextel

by Lirr168

DutchRailnut wrote:The tunnel has what they call a leaky antenna. Its a cable which picks up the signal thru tunnel same as in park avenue tunnel to GCT.
It should work with a few carriers including Verizon and Cingular and Nextel
Apparently not Cingular; I don't usually get service until the train passes under the #7 line in Sunnyside.

by Sirsonic

The East and North River tunnels were wired for cellular telephone communication as part of the life safety improvement project. While there is now cell service in the tunnels, it should not be relied upon by employees in an emergency.

by Clem

Part of the MTA's agreement with Verizon is that no other phone carrier is permitted to install or use the East River Tunnel antenni...

Nextel has service in the station on the Long Island level (Suburban Concourse) , but no service in the tunnels.

Clem

by DutchRailnut

hmm I believe there is a law against that, but what the heck , MTA is above the law anyway.

by Clem

Interesting you should say that, Dutch. We went around and around with that legislation -- it's the same court decision that lets Cablevision hang their wires on someone else's pole, or run their wires through your backyard without paying rent even though they have no easement on your property.

And, yes, the MTA, in the name of national security, argues that they are above the law in that area.

With all the money behind the cellular industry, it should be interesting to see how long Verizon keeps the others out.

Clemuel

by Nasadowsk

Ahh yes, leaky coax. Another great product from the makers of Heliax(tm) cable...

Honestly, I wish they didn't do that - the slight period of no cell phones was nice, instead of:

HI!!!! I'M ON THE TRAIN!!!! WHAT?!?! NO, I'M ON THE TRAIN!! HELLO???? HI I JUST GOT DROPPED. WHAT!?!? I CAN'T HEAR YOU WE'RE IN THE TUNNEL!!!

NO!!!! I'M ON THE TRAIN!!!!! THE TRAIN!!!!!

YES!!! PICK ME UP IN 45 MINUTES!!! NO!!! I'M ON THE TRA....HELLO???

HI, I GOT DROPPED AGAIN.

I'M ON THE TRAIN!!!!!

Years ago, some MN engineman was telling me he used to announce on New Cannan trains that the cell phones interferred with the signalling systems and to plase turn them off. Was supposedly very effective...

My company gave me an electronic leash. It stays in my car most the time. I have 8no* idea what the heck I'm supposed to use it for, though it can take pictures/video which I guess is good if someone hits my car, or there's a pervert on the subway...

by matthewsaggie

Very funny and very true. Does LIRR have "quiet cars"? I see that MARC does, and of course Amtrak does.

by Long Island 7285

LIRR has no quite cars to my knowledg

there has been plenty of times where I invited my self to dinner to out with cell hugger makeing plans for that evening on the trains on direct connect.
needless to say, her dinner plans ended before i was able to go on, and the noise subsided leanding to a more plesent ride. :-D

by Jersey_Mike

I see that MARC does, and of course Amtrak does.
No, Amtrak does period. Amtrak runs MARC and therefore MARC enjoys use of the trademarked QuietCar service.

by Nasadowsk

The best cell phone yapper story I ever heard (ok, besides that guy who's arm got stuck in the crapper on MN - why does MN get all the bizzare stuff in life anyway?) was a guy who overheard someone (loudly) confirming a vacation/hotel reservation on the phone.

With a pad handy, he jotted down the pertenant info.

Then called in later that day and canceled the guy's plans!

Hey, if you're stupid enough to recite you name, credit card #, when you're staying at the place, etc, in a public place....

by matthewsaggie

MARC trains operated by CSX (Camden Line) have "quiet cars" too, though the timetable notes that its a registered trademark of Amtrak.