Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by matthewsaggie

This is a personal request to those of you living on the Island. I will be coming up from NC to Oyster Bay in mid september for a memorial mass and to bury my fathers ashes in Cold Spring Harbor. (St John's, Laurel Hollow) I'll have a rental car for one or two days, but I am looking for a resonable hotel in walking distance to an LIRR station in the area, as we want to spend an extra day or two visiting the city, etc. None of the hotel guides give any idea how far they are to a station. We will probably be at the East Norwich Inn the day of the service, but are flexible after that. Do you have any suggestions, as its been many years since I was in that area.

Thanks for any assistance. --Ralph

by NIMBYkiller

Closest station to the East Norwich Inn I believe is Syosset, which has far better service than the OB.

Sorry to hear about your father

by CTG

I can't think of any hotels within walking distance to LIRR stations on the North Shore. On the south shore, there's the Garden City hotel (if you're willing to spend $200+ per night!!), or the Hampton Inn and Best Western in downtown Rockville Centre (the Hampton Inn is much nicer).

I think there's also a Holiday Inn on Old Country Road in Carle Place that you can probably walk to the LIRR from.
  by Head-end View

There are hotels in the Syosset-Woodbury area which is near East Norwich and Cold Spring Harbor. But not within walking distance of Syosset or Cold-Spring Harbor Stations. A Best Western on Jericho Tpk. (Route 25) in Woodbury and a Fairfield Inn on the same road in Syosset. There are a few others along that stretch too. Try checking some hotel search websites. Also, if you stay in that area or East Norwich, it's not a long drive to the Hicksville Station which has roughly double the service of the Huntington/Port Jefferson line. But you'll only be able to park at Hicksville on weekends. It is the busiest suburban station on the LIRR. And if you're looking for a more budget style motel, there is an Econolodge in Hicksville at Old Country Rd. and Wantagh Pkwy. It's about 1 1/2 miles from the Hicksville Station.

Sorry about your father's passing; I hope you have an otherwise good trip to the New York area.