Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Johnny B

Can anyone tell me what the status is of converting the Farley Bldg. (US Post Office) into the new Penn Station? This project was approved for funding by the Clinton administration, yet I haven't heard anything about it since the initial conceptual views were released...

by DutchRailnut

If you leaf back in the post you find several treads related to this on the Amtrak board, LIRR had nothing to do with Farley building.

by Johnny B

Thanks-- I found a prior post on the Amtrak board, as you suggested, with lots of info... But were LIRR trains supposed to utilize this new structure, or continue using the basement of MSG?

by IslesFan

Johnny B wrote:Thanks-- I found a prior post on the Amtrak board, as you suggested, with lots of info... But were LIRR trains supposed to utilize this new structure, or continue using the basement of MSG?
Everything is still going to the basement, all the New Penn Station is going to be is a new mezzazine for Amtrak, aka no improvement in train service.
  by N340SG

As of late, Amtrak has been crying that they have no money for the Farley conversion. Probably posturing for more money from interested parties.
Other parties involved are studying feasibility of going it anyway, if Amtrak bails out.

Side note: All sorts of people are taking credit for getting the Post Office to move along with vacating Farley. Farley is going to be used as a media center for the RNC. (Hence the temporary overpass over 8th avenue, between MSG and Farley.) These people are saying that the RNC is responsible for speeding things up. Post Office says that's BS.

by DutchRailnut

the Farley building conversion to station would have been no changes to or additions to platforms or tracks, the same platforms and tracks as used today would be used.