Railroad Forums 

• Penn-Camden Connector Track

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1630009  by Arlington

CRISI Grant: https://railroads.dot.gov/sites/fra.dot ... s_PDFa.pdf
Maryland -- Penn-Camden Connector Project (Up to $8,800,000) Maryland Department of Transportation - Maryland Transit Administration (MDOT MTA) The proposed project involves project development activities for various rail infrastructure improvements to support a new rail connection between the Maryland Area Rail Commuter (MARC) Penn Line, on Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor, and the MARC Camden Line, on CSX Transportation’s (CSX) Capital Subdivision. The project will help advance efforts to provide a rail connection between the Penn and Camden Lines, improving operations and reliability for passenger rail and freight train service. Furthermore, the project aligns with the selection criteria by improving ability to meet existing and anticipated demand as it will support MTA’s future efforts to relocate the MARC trainset storage facility, which will enable Amtrak to advance its plans to redevelop Baltimore’s Penn Station and Union Station in Washington, D.C. MTA will provide a 20 percent non-Federal match.
 #1630056  by STrRedWolf

Imported_Image.jpg
Imported_Image.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 1110 times
Basically reusing an old right-of-way that was used in a previous connector. Mainly rehab work and maybe some extra interlocks between Halethorpe and West Baltimore, plus some work in CSX's Carrol Park yard.
 #1630060  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:28 pm Imported_Image.jpg

Basically reusing an old right-of-way that was used in a previous connector. Mainly rehab work and maybe some extra interlocks between Halethorpe and West Baltimore, plus some work in CSX's Carrol Park yard.
I wonder if there is a thought about a flyover for the south track (if one can go in near the graveyard).
I also wonder if this could be penn line sportsball train service. And if tit could make the freight tunnels moot, as the customers could be serviced from riverside, if NS were to give up the trackage rights.
 #1630130  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:07 pm I wonder if there is a thought about a flyover for the south track (if one can go in near the graveyard).
I also wonder if this could be penn line sportsball train service. And if tit could make the freight tunnels moot, as the customers could be serviced from riverside, if NS were to give up the trackage rights.
It's early for that. I think the award is for the design and EIS phase. CSX and Amtrak would have to hash out operational details for the hand-off. Plus, CSX has track rights, does it not? It's just that NS uses them more.

For "Burdsnest" service... Well, MARC is keeping their diesels... As long as they don't charge more...
 #1630134  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:44 am
scratchyX1 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:07 pm I wonder if there is a thought about a flyover for the south track (if one can go in near the graveyard).
It's early for that. I think the award is for the design and EIS phase. CSX and Amtrak would have to hash out operational details for the hand-off. Plus, CSX has track rights, does it not? It's just that NS uses them more.

For "Burdsnest" service... Well, MARC is keeping their diesels... As long as they don't charge more...
CSX has rights to the morgantown branch. Now that the plant is closed, I wonder how much longer they will keep those rights. I didn't think NS does any run through from the south anymore, it's all local service.
IIRC, there was somewhere in that MCP a reference to wiring up to riverside and camden station, which would allow electrics service there. I've no idea whose power, as I don't know if jericho park would still provide juice to non amtrak wires.
 #1630152  by Literalman

The "project involves project development." Now that's something everybody can agree to spend money on. Reminds me of a Beltway bandit I worked for where one report talked about processing the process.
 #1630160  by scratchyX1

Literalman wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:15 pm The "project involves project development." Now that's something everybody can agree to spend money on. Reminds me of a Beltway bandit I worked for where one report talked about processing the process.
''Meanwhile, a secret meeting was being held secretly.''
I was thinking more speed racer.
 #1630315  by TheOneKEA

scratchyX1 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:44 pm IIRC, there was somewhere in that MCP a reference to wiring up to riverside and camden station, which would allow electrics service there. I've no idea whose power, as I don't know if jericho park would still provide juice to non amtrak wires.
I would assume (wrongly?) that the electric metering arrangements for any catenary on this proposed connector would be identical to those currently used for any MARC service operated with an ACS-64. The static converter at Jericho Park isn’t currently connected directly to the catenary so its energy output is commingled with the other 25Hz generators and converters that are in phase south of Sub 16. The nearest 138kV substation to this proposed connector appears to be Sub 21, and I suspect that if the connector was electrified, it would be fed from this substation.
 #1630590  by twropr

I learned that the grant pays for planning and design and that the connector will be
about 2.5 miles long. Is it still the West Baltimore/Halethorpe area? Is the goal more
to allow diesels and coaches used on the Penn Line to be maintained at Riverside, or
to allow some Penn Line trains to serve Camden Yards?
Andy
 #1630598  by scratchyX1

twropr wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:13 am I learned that the grant pays for planning and design and that the connector will be
about 2.5 miles long. Is it still the West Baltimore/Halethorpe area? Is the goal more
to allow diesels and coaches used on the Penn Line to be maintained at Riverside, or
Andy
I thought that the original proposal was to have both. It would likely require a second track over the carrollton viaduct, but would get used alot, especially on game days.
 #1630623  by STrRedWolf

twropr wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:13 am I learned that the grant pays for planning and design and that the connector will be
Andy
Yes, under an abandoned ROW.

Yes, the original intent is to get better access to Riverside yard in Baltimore w/o having to haul the equipment down to DC and then back up to Baltimore.

Having diesel Penn Line trains end in Camden Yards is a happy side effect.