• Pedestrian accident in Lynbrook (3/16/06)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by kuzzel540

I checked news12.com and I can't find any info. What happened?

by Lirr168

That's all elevated track; must have been someone that fell off the platform or a trespasser.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

female fell or jumped in front of train 164 at 708 or so branch shut down close to two hours it was a fatality. 164 was an express.

by kuzzel540

Was 2736 delayed because of the accident?

by Long Island 7285

Suicide by rail? If train 164’s and express then that train was not stopping.

They installed that ugly anti railfan fence after that kid got zaped a few years back. I guess they don't learn over there in Lynbrook. Maybe it's time for the OLS bus that the MTA owns to go to the local schools there?

by kuzzel540

I remember when the LIRR came to my school ('92, I think). The man talked about how there were people watching us and if we crossed the tracks, we would be in serious trouble.

by Long Island 7285

The last time any LIRR/MTA person came to my school summer of 2002 I was in 11 grade, in drivers ed class. They spend half the class talking about driving/DWI and the likes, then some LIRR personal talked about crossings and dangers. nothing was mentioned on the OSL program or anything to that effect. I cannot remember any program where the LIRR/MTA PD came to my school(s) through the years and talked strictly about railroad safety and behavior. I don't know how this program works, but I do srongly suggust that because it implies safety, and safety is of number one concern. the state or the LIRR should make it mandatory maybe 2x a yea in each school once in the beginning of the year and again beginning in the spring. There are pros and cons to any program. It's just what I feel may get the point out to "some"

by RPM2Night

the LIRR TRACKS team has been attending local model railroad shows with their van...but it would be nice if they attended schools on a regular basis...that way you get the message to everyone. unfortunately, it's up to the school to contact the LIRR to have them as a guest to speak to the students, and a lot of the time the schools don't consider that.

by Long Island 7285

a lot of the time the schools don't consider that.
And that right there is the proble, no consideration from the educators, the kids go thinking its a joke to play around railroad tracks and that is ok to jump of platforms. It's really sad that few schools call the TRACKS program in. Lynbrook did it that year after the kid was zapped where the tracks are at grade, and I do not know if they kept up with the program. I will ask some one to find out.

by Clem

Older male with medical problems. Appeared to have jumped.

by Long Island 7285

Oh, Well That says it all. Thats the M-Factor (Mental-Factor) Those are the people that no matter what safety is done they will never learn.