• Pay Telephones in C3s and M7s

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by UN Block

Hi Gang,

I, with the help of some others, have determined that the cutoff point for M7s delivered with pay telephones is between 7155 and 7163, ASSUMING (!!!) that they were built in number order, of course.

Can all of you keep your eyes open for 7157, 7159 and 7161 to see if they had the pay phone installed? It was located diagonally opposite the toilet on the other side of the east vestibule.

Also, does anybody know when they were removed from the C3s? Someone I know seems to feel late 2002 or early 2003.
  by N340SG

Jeff,

I know you like to be completely accurate about these details, so I must point out that many of the M-7 cars you are citing have the enclosure, but never had the pay phone itself. It took awhile for BBD to modify the wall panels to eliminate the enclosure. In the interim, they just put a blanking plate in the enclosure, over where the phone would have been.

I saw the photo that was proof positive that at least a few cars actually had the phone. (I didn't see those cars because the M-7s were not coming into WS Shop early on. They all went to HMC for everything when the first ones got here.) I do not know how many cars actually had the phone, but I suspect the number is small.
I personally have never seen a phone in any M-7 that I've walked thru.

Tom

by Lirr168

I remember seeing the phones on the M7's as late as Fall 2003. I believe the last time I saw a phone on a C3 was the Spring of 2004, but I do not remember exactly; when you sit with the same people in the same car everyday things blend together!

by UN Block

Tom,

I had a feeling this might have happened! I'll modify the M7 details to note this.

Thanks for the C3 note.