Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by zerovanity59

25Hz wrote:
Allan wrote:
25Hz wrote:Well, at least they can't complain about PATH being a drain on the PA budget after this (what adds up to) very large fare increase. ......quote]

Sure they can. Never put anything past the PA.

Do not be surpised if they try for more fare increases starting in 2015.
Sure, if they wanna stifle rider growth, which affects the regional economy.
Actually, they should look at the ridership patterns after a fare hike. If there is no long term drop in ridership, they should increase fares until there is and then drop the fare slightly. This would produce the maximum revenue while still serving the public.
  by Allan

The PA isn't that concerned with changes in ridership after a fare increase. That is because PATH is still cheaper than NJ Transit train or bus. It is faster than bus service and more frequent than NJT rail.

Even though they aren't they act as if they are "the only game in town" when it comes to rapid transit between NY and NJ. And since the PA isn't funded by tax dollars they don't have to answer to anyone. The state legislatures (at least the one in NY) is trying to make the PA more accountable but that isn't being supported by Gov. Cuomo. Forget about Gov. Christie - he'd rather get rid of the PA altogether especially after the GW Bridge fallout.
  by 25Hz

Unlike NJT rail, PATH fare increases do actually affect low income individuals on an aggregate scale. Rider numbers is not accurate, you need to track where people are coming from & going to. A new building going up & people working there could offset those that have to cut back on rides due to monetary concerns.

All i know, is i'm not bothering with PATH anymore unless i'm going to or coming from the hudson waterfront in NJ.