Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Jeff Smith

Show them this: BizJournals
MARTA trains to run slower due to cold

Carla Caldwell, Morning Edition Editor
MARTA says rail service will run more slowly early Tuesday morning due to the extreme cold temperatures.
The agency said in a release that in order to ensure the safety of everyone, a winter operations plan would be in effect, which forces trains to run more slowly until temperatures rise to 10 degrees or higher. The temperature is expected reach 10 degrees around 10 a.m., reports Atlanta Business Chronicle broadcast partner WXIA-TV.
Tell them to quit whining!
  by RearOfSignal

I don't know why this pertains to Metro-North/CDOT, but we welcome our friends at MARTA to the cold-weather transportation complaints club.
  by MBTA1016

Uh he's the admin signal. He can kind of do what he wants haha :)
  by RearOfSignal

kitn1mcc wrote:Don't Challenge the Boss he is going some were with this
So he's on the way out? Why it is that some were with this, I guess now some are not?
  by Jeff Smith

I only posted it by point of comparison. Folks are always complaining about heat or cold restrictions; this shows it just isn't MNRR. I.e. I'm just lending some support.
  by sammy2009

Run slow what the hell ?...who runs the train at slow speed because of the cold. I know SEPTA/NJ TRANSIT/ and I'm sure LIRR, And MetroNorth does not. I never heard of that. Lol. And MARTA acting like they got commuter rail lol
  by Backshophoss

Alanta and MARTA do not normally deal with snow,ice,and frozen rain on a regular basis,
it can get cold in Alanta at times,but only expect to deal with rain. :wink:
  by sammy2009

I'm just lost on while they would be going slow ? Someone please explain for the life of me lol. Chance of derailment or something ?
  by MattW

sammy2009 wrote:I'm just lost on while they would be going slow ? Someone please explain for the life of me lol. Chance of derailment or something ?
I live here and I'm lost! Frankly, I'm not lost, I'm beyond irritated. The rail system should have been something people could have relied on instead of shutting down like everything else.
  by truck6018

Metro North's New Haven Line is especially prone to problems in the extreme heat and cold temperatures due to the cantenaries. As with any metal, heat and cold causes expansion and contracting. When the temperatures are extreme, the chances are breakage are greater.

In third rail territory this is not as much of an issue, however, having third rail is illegal in Connecticut.
  by runningwithscalpels

sammy2009 wrote:I'm just lost on while they would be going slow ? Someone please explain for the life of me lol. Chance of derailment or something ?
Catenary wires get brittle in the cold and sag in the heat. That's why there's speed restrictions in extreme cold and during nasty heat waves, because as Truck said, either condition makes the wire more prone to breakage.
  by DutchRailnut

Old catenary sags and breaks in cold, same old catenary gets limp in summer, fortunately there is not much catenary left.
We still however deal with old bridges and lots of speed restriction. now thanks to certain politicians the speed restrictions doubled and will get much lower in speed.
What has been ok for 150 years is now questioned by people like Schumer and Blumenthal , the restrictions they have imposed have slowed your commute by at least 15 minutes.
  by MattW

The rail system in the article (MARTA) is third-rail, not an inch of catenary in the region.