Railroad Forums 

• Passenger trains in Israel

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1631174  by eolesen

Regardless, it was Saturday morning.

It could have been any Saturday morning and the trains still wouldn't have been running.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1631317  by Gilbert B Norman

Interesting reading:

https://electronicintifada.net/content/ ... gaza/15996

Fair Use;
Abdelmajeed al-Mubayed still remembers when the train used to pass by his house.

The 80-year-old, whom everyone knows as Haj Abu Muhammad, likes to entertain his grandsons with tales of running after the Cairo-bound train as it billowed smoke. Picking up a head of steam for the long journey ahead, the train made its way through his neighborhood of Shujaiya in Gaza City.

“I can still hear the sound of the train,” he told The Electronic Intifada. “I remember the room where they used to sell tickets and deliver parcels.”

Those days are long gone. But there have been a number of suggestions in recent years that a Palestinian railroad should be brought back. In December 2015, the Palestinian Authority’s transport ministry announced plans to link the West Bank and Gaza by a rail network, which could then be extended to neighboring countries.

Much of this would demand a political settlement with Israel as well as agreement with a country like Egypt. In the current climate, such breakthroughs appear to be a long way off.
Yes, there was a railroad running through Gaza, Palestine connecting Gaza with Cairo. Obviously, with formation of the State of Israel and the partioning of the Gaza Strip, such ceased to exist.

With the events of the past week, any ideas of a restoration are simply off the table, along with any kind of a recognized political Palestine state.