Railroad Forums 

• Partial Derailment near Lyons, NY Sep 19th?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#972840  by frankr

Is anyone aware of a partial derailment near Lyons NY on Monday Sept 19th?

I was railfanning at the Lyons yard Mon. A.M., took a break for lunch (and a nap) and when I got back to thee yard about 3:30 the were 17 cars parked on the 1st siding north of track 1. It looked as though all the wheels on the south side of the cars were 5 inches, or so below the inside of the rail.

From what I could see of the wheels on the north side of the cars, they were still on the track properly.

This morning when I arrived at the site, there were 10 more cars added to the group. There was no one even looking at the cars but I had to leave for home (Rome NY) at 0900.

I don't know only 1 side of a truck could derail and not push the other die to derail too.

Any comments?
 #973062  by Gadfly

10more years wrote:Lots of times, a rail will "spread" and one side of the truck will drop off and the other side will stay on the rail.
That is what I thought. Forgive me, but I don't think there's such a thing as a "partial derailment". LMAO! Yer either derailed or you're not! :) I'm not making fun, it just struck me funny and made me smile!

Old railroader,

Gadfly
 #974047  by roadster

I think you were seeing an opitical illusion at that spot. I know the place well. I believe the cars were sitting on "outside 5" which runs next to the siding but just slightly lower in elevation. When viewed from the South side of the tracks, it appears the cars wheels are below the rail head of the siding, but are actually sitting on the rails of "outside 5". If these cars actually had been derailed, they wouldn't be adding cars to the string, and you'd see some rerailing equipment, sidewinders and people around.