Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1632147  by Jeff Smith

Work begins: AMNY.com
Metro-North’s 130-year-old Park Avenue Viaduct set for upgrades as reconstruction work begins

Reconstruction work has kicked off on the 130-year-old Park Avenue Viaduct, which carries hundreds of Metro-North trains daily from Grand Central Terminal but is starting to show its age, Gov. Kathy Hochul announced Thursday.

Crews have begun clearing areas underneath the viaduct in East Harlem, according to the governor, to prepare the grounds for new foundations and support columns that will eventually support a new steel structure. The first phase of the project, between 115th and 123rd Streets, is expected to cost $590 million and be completed in 2026.
But after more than a century of service, the viaduct is “well past its useful life” and a new structure is needed to “serve the region for another hundred years,” said the MTA’s construction chief, Jamie Torres-Springer.
The MTA says that the redesigned viaduct will be painted in a more pleasing color palette, and will incorporate design elements to reduce noise and vibrations underhand that have long kept neighbors awake. A new mural will also be painted on the viaduct at 116th Street.
 #1636249  by bulk88

Erie-Lackawanna wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:05 pm The viaduct was rehabilitated in the 1990s. It was not replaced. With few exceptions, the underlying structure is well over 100 years old.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8034613 ... ?entry=ttu

Everything is brand new. Welded and bolted from the 1990s. base of Center column is original, outer columns r new, deck new, The structure is 95% brand new steel.
 #1636261  by NaugyRR

You just contradicted yourself... is everything brand new, or is 95% brand new?
 #1636297  by RandallW

The damage depicted in https://new.mta.info/document/108576 shows that either the 1990's rebuild wasn't a replacement of the original viaduct, but was a rehabilitation. It seems that building a concrete deck on the existing structure was a major part of the 1990s work and that could have added significant weight and stress to the existing structure.
 #1639472  by BandA

I love the video where the gantry crane is lifting long panels off of moving trucks, or lowering them. Why did they instal a new cement surface in 1990 and what did it replace, a steel surface? Also the video shows them reusing the existing piers - have those already been replaced over time? 1990 was 43 years ago. Also, nothing they build today is going to last 100 years! Especially any new noise-reduction features.
 #1639529  by NaugyRR

Check your math BandA... I was born in '91 and I turn 33 this year. Don't age me that fast! LOL